The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two purebred Nubian does due to kid this year, and we're getting close for one girl so it's time to start the thread!

First is Celeste, a yearling first freshener. She wasn't supposed to be bred at all, and in fact we tried to abort her, but it didn't take and so she will be kidding at 1 year old. She's a good size for her age, but you can see she's a wiiiiiiiide load right now. Not sure of her due date--I am watching her like a hawk. I suspect 2 weeks. Her little first freshener udder is building nicely and I'm impressed with it already. She is out of J&M Hideaway and Hoanbu lines.

Second is Erin, a 3-year-old second freshener. She kidded twins last year and was the same size then that she is now, and she's due March 8th. So I don't know how many she has--certainly twins, we'll see if there's more. She's a big deep long doe so she hides it well. She is out of Lakeshore and Canoe-Creek lines.

Finally is Spotty Buck, the sire of the kids. He's sulking in the picture because I stopped petting him. Big mean scary buck. He is out of Woodview and Wingwood lines.
2Celeste1312021.jpg
Celeste1312021.jpg
3Celeste1312021.jpg
3Erin1312021.jpg
Erin1312021.jpg
2Erin1312021.jpg
Spot1312021.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I was off by a week. Celeste was acting oddly, and her ligaments were gone and her milk was in last night. This morning I went to check on her and she was a space cadet, staring into nowhere. But no signs aside from that. So I told my husband to go grab breakfast while I stayed on Baby Watch. About 5 minutes after he left, she went into labor--about 9:15am. I called him and finally got ahold of him at 9:30 (yay spotty country phone connections) and told him she was in labor but it would probably be a while.

Well, when he got home with food at 10:00am, she had both kids on the ground. Wow, great for a yearling first-timer! Of course, then she proceeded to ignore her babies, preferring to lick on me, and pawed and kicked at them when they tried to nurse. I expected this from an immature Teen Mom, so they're now in the house terrorizing the cats and being adorable.

Buck/doe twins. I am keeping the doe--she's the one with the ridiculous moonspots. The buck also has cool dark brown moonspots, which are hard to see except in the last picture.
21CelesteKids1.jpg
21CelesteKids2.jpg
21CelesteKids3.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kiddos are officially one day old. Active and happy, and the little girl (whom I am naming Snakegg WS Andromeda) is snuggly and loves to sleep in laps.

Mom Celeste is doing really well. She already has lost that "squeezed toothpaste tube" look that newly kidded does have. She has tiny teats as a yearling and is super hard to milk, until I broke out my old hand milker that I'd never used before. With that, she milked 2lbs in one milking at 1 day fresh, ever. I think she's going to do really well as a milking doe.

Erin is not impressed by any of Celeste's shenanigans, and the kidding in general. But she's a very chill doe, not at all like a usual Nubian. She's doing well and still getting wider....

·
Registered
288 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts