The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Erin is due on March 8th, so since we are a week out here are some progress pics. Poor girl is in the grouchy phase with the other goats, but I can't give her enough lovings. I have even sneaked a back massager out to the barn and run it along her spine, and she seems to really enjoy it. She's practically spherical and the babies have got to be pressing on her and weighing her down something awful. She spends a lot of time lying down or standing up on a ledge to try to shift weight. She tolerates Andromeda, and you can tell mama hormones are kicking in because she's spending a lot of time sniffing at her.

Also, bonus Andromeda in a goat coat picture.
Erin312021.jpg
2Erin312021.jpg
3Erin312021.1.jpg
Andromeda4.jpg

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Lucky Erin, she has a nice goat mom to give her massages!
The little one in the blue jeans looks so cool! I thought at first she has cowboy boots on too!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, it was a long wait, but it was worth it. Erin went 6 days overdue. I was really concerned about her, but her body was prepping for kids like it should have.... only slowly.

Turns out she needed to cook 'em as long as she did. I knew she was bigger than last year, but she wasn't a behemoth.... and she kidded quads! And they were all pretty little, 5lb, 5.25lb, 5.75lb, and 7lb. They're all gorgeous but.... they're all boys. Sigh. I really wanted a girl out of this pairing. This is now 6 kids from the pairing, all bucks.

In order of appearance:
Erin1.jpg
Erin2.jpg
Erin3.jpg
Erin4.jpg

Something odd about them, though--they're having issues regulating their body temperature. I had to bring them in the house to raise them, and even in the house, with a full belly of milk and sleeping on my lap, one kiddo was shivering until I put both of my warm hands on his back. The preemie last year had the same issue, but these guys weren't preemies. Why are they having temp issues?

Erin is doing good, looking like a squeezed toothpaste tube. She milked 2lbs of colostrum for the kids and another 2lb for the freezer. She wants her kids badly, but if they can't stay warm in the house there's no way they can stay in the barn. Also, they're so little they can actually fit through the slats in the stall door....

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
They are gorgeous!
Sorry to hear you haven't got your doeling yet!
I hope someone has some input about their temperature regulation.
Maybe @GoofyGoat ?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
It’ll take a few days for them to regulate their own temps. Can you set up a warming barrel or heat pad in the stall with mom? I use a dog heating pad from Amazon. When they lay down on it, it warms up, when they’re up and about it goes into a stand by mode. I love it.
I’m thinking, babies nurse a lot. If you’re bottle feeding them they’re on a schedule that’s not their own, it’s yours. So maybe during the day keep them on mom. Are you in the mountains by Landrum or in the lowland areas of SC? It should be warming up outside. My family is in the landrum area. My sis said it’s been pretty nice out except for the them.
Congratulations on the quads though they’re so sweet!

I also have an Andromeda, she’s a stinker so good luck with yours :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The boys are doing great and running me ragged. One of the kiddos had contracted tendons and had to wear bright pink splints for a couple of days, but you would never be able to tell now!

I picked up this little doeling yesterday. Meet Amber! Both her sire and dam are J&M Hideaway, and she's from awesome lines. Her grandsires are Royal Blue Nevada Joe and Lakeshore Ace Bellagio. She's long long long, with a wide back end and high escutcheon. And she's a baby doll. She's my helper when I milk, much to the chagrin of the does. And she and Andromeda are best buddies already!
Amber.jpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I sold two of the quads today as wethers, and their new owner is sending me pictures of them in shirts and custom collars riding around in shopping baskets and lounging on their furniture. I'm always thrilled when I send wethers to good homes, because it can be so iffy about what people do with them.

I'm registering the other two as bucks before I sell them, because they're from good lines and they're both gorgeous. Long and wide and deep and tall. Connor, the brown one, has a really flat rump too. Finnegan, the spotted roan, is just plain pretty on top of good body shape. The only thing is.... Finn was in the kid box being prepped for his tattoo when Connor decided to "help"...
ConnorHelping.jpg

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
It looks great on him! 😂 🤭
Great news about all the kids!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts