snakes

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Noreen, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Noreen

Noreen Member

Jun 20, 2019
    Norman ok
    Hi there! I have a quarter acre goat pen that is just fenced in with 4" fencing. We seen huge increase in snake population in our neighborhood this spring. Mostly just Rat snakes but also some Cottonmouths. I have started to spray vinegar, cinnamon or clove oils around the outside of the pen but have no idea if that works, just google information. Any suggestions how to help deter a snake from entering the pen area? I have a dog who is free to roam so anything poisonous is out.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Snakes look for warmth. So they will be attracted to a body, dog or goat. There is a plant that deter snakes but that is not fool proof. To be honest it could be safe to add chicken mesh to the bottom rung of your arena. The holes are too small for the snakes to get through. We have puff adders here. My sheep normally kill them but I have lost two ewes to snake bites.
    This has worked for me.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Snakes also love cover. Dead logs, leaf piles, thick underbrush, wood piles. Removing these will help. Something you might want to look into is getting guineas. They are known to kill snakes.

4. Noreen

Noreen Member

Jun 20, 2019
    Norman ok
    This is what worries me because I have a pile of hay they love to lay on and also a bed of hay a foot thick in their little barn for them to sleep on. If I remove this, they will have nothing and also when they are in there for long periods due to rain, I will have nothing to absorb the urine.

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    There are a lot of other ways to provide bedding and absorb urine without providing snake habitat. Hay isn't that good at absorption anyhow. Let me try to grab a few links to recent threads on various bedding and barn floors.

What type of structure is it? A pole barn with gravel bottom or something with a framed wood floor? Other?

6. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    You can put out sulfur to stop snakes from travelling over it. I dont know if I would recommend it inside the goat pen. We have cats around, and free roaming chickens, they tend to destroy all non essential animal life.

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have had two goats bit last season. Irene looked to be a dry bite thank God cause it was fanged. A buckling was not so lucky.. his neck swelled and even with vet intervenion he died. Our guinea population was down to 3.. this year we hatched some out in hopes they stay in the goat pen. But we did add geese..Edward and Eleanor along with chickens and ducks who all roam the goat pen. No snake bites on animals this season yet. My 14 year old son was bit on his foot a few nights ago. (Alway telling him not to go out bear footed..bet he listens now!) We have killed several rat snakes in our chicken nest already. Going to be a fun year.

Keep a snake bite kit on the ready. Draw up meds and put in zip lock baggie Marked **SNAKE BITE KIT**
    Penicillin Sub Q for 5 days, draw up 5-6 cc (dose is 1 cc per 20# but keeping a large dose you can always give less of it if goat is smaller) You can always draw more up if the goat weighs more.
    Dexamethasone. Give IM. For 5 days decreasing dose amount each day. Again, draw a large dose, 5-6 cc. Dose is 1 cc per 20#, so can give less if goat is smaller) Give what you have pulled up then you can draw more up if the goat weighs more.
    Benadryl. Give large dose of 30-40 cc 2 times a day for 4 days. (if its a tiny goat adjust dose)
    Plantain plant can help draw out toxins..chew some up and apply to the bite.
    Once the treatment has been given, it a good idea to ID if the bite is venomous or Non Venomous. If venomous call your vet and alert him.

Non Venomous will be a double horseshoe shape like my sons foot
    Venomous will have two puncture spots with a line of small marks downward

Picture is my sons foot..non venomous bite.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  8. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I would put wire mesh at the bottom of fence to discourage snakes from going in the pens. If determined though they could climb of course. I would also get animals that kill snakes. Someone above suggested guineas, I’m sure there are more animals that could help too. Make sure that your dog wouldn’t mess with guineas or others in the snake patrol force. Maybe trying to control whatever the snakes eat may help too, like rats. Blessed to not have too many problems with venomous snakes in Florida. We mainly only encounter rat snakes and black racers with the occasional Pygmy rattle snakes, moccasins, and the classic game of is it a coral or king snake.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. MellonFriend

Great Advice! I've got to write this down somewhere.

Also want to add that evidence has shown that large doses of vitamin c can be helpful when fighting off a venomous snake bite.

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  10. MellonFriend

My medically inclined sister is wondering if you know what the dosage in pill form Benadryl is? That's what we tend to have on hand.

MadHouse likes this.
  11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Liquid is 12.5 mg per dose
    Chewable is 12.5 mg
    Capsule and pill are 25 mg per dose.

So basically capsule and pills would be half the amount since they are twice as strong.i wouldn't fret too much about giving a bit too much, may make them.sleepy but will be fine.
    I think liquid is easier to give and maybe faster to work.

Ashlynn and MellonFriend like this.
  12. Noreen

Noreen Member

Jun 20, 2019
    Norman ok
    Hi! Its just a 4 x8 shed I made out of old privacy fence and plywood. I stupidly put a piece of plywood on the bottom 4' section where they sleep so they would be off the ground in the winter. Then I cover the whole 4 x 8 with hay. I also have a large area of hay outside that they love to lay on. Never had a problem in the year I've had them but this year is out of control with snakes.....and that darn Armadillo is back!!!

13. Noreen

Noreen Member

Jun 20, 2019
    Norman ok

14. Noreen

Noreen Member

Jun 20, 2019
    Norman ok
    Is sulfur ok if my dog should get into it? I could put it just outside the fencing.....

15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Might raise that up a few feet to make it less inviting to snakes. Goats love to jump high any way. :)

16. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    That I am not super sure of. I will try and google it real quick. My AC unit went out prior to me having outside animals, when they went under, they found a bed of copper heads, and on very agitated cottonmouth. So they shot those and spread sulfur around.

17. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Eh, not sure Id put it out with dogs nearby. Im seeing mixed things online so may not want to go that route.

Ashlynn likes this.
  18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Cottonmouth scare me more than copper head. They are more aggressive

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All have really good advice.

20. Stefano

Stefano New Member

May 8, 2020
    Ohio
    Growing up in cottonmouth and copperhead country we always believed black snakes(aka black rat snakes)helped keep Poisen snakes away and welcomed them. Also snakes like taller grass so possibly,keeping a short strip around pasture could help

Goataddict likes this.