snakes

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Noreen, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    We only have the common garter snakes and black snakes. Some idiot tried to reintroduce massaga rattlesnakes a few years back. Most of those got shot by farmers. They were wiped out 150 years ago, someone in Cleveland thought the country needed more snakes!
    Ok, so my question, does gravel deter snakes? As in, sharp stones acting as a barrier?

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes rat snakes do help control venomous snakes. We leave them.be as long as they are not in our chicken house area or where they themselves could be a problem

3. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Im not sure about rocks but I seem to remember something about rocks or shell rock them not liking. Im in the deep south, if its venomous it lives here.

4. Noreen

Noreen Member

Jun 20, 2019
    Norman ok

5. Noreen

Noreen Member

Jun 20, 2019
    Norman ok
    So what are good bedding options for a dirt floor? I can remove the wood section next time I clean it out. I see pine shavings a lot but that would attract snakes just like the straw pile I would think....

6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    A lot of folks are skipping bedding on their gravel/dirt floors all together and just raking with a leaf rake to move the poop out. Other folks are only providing pine shavings in one corner and many goats will accomodate by peeing in certain locations. In addition, putting sleeping platforms inside or outside the shelter will give the goats a great place to lay and you can get rid of the waste hay outside. Make the sleeping platform at least 12" up so it's not a good snake hideout.

Goataddict likes this.
  7. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    I agree with SaltLove

I hate snakes I almost got bitten by one a few weeks ago. Poisonous snakes are rare in our area but they are still snakes.

You can avoid them by decluttering your environment. Piles of woods, cool, shaded area are their prime locations. Also show your presence. I am not sure it might work but if you make your environment not conducive by not having hiding spots and you moving about they might be discouraged to enter the into the premises.
    We left our dog outside to sniff, find them out and maybe scare them off.

You might also plant plants that repels snakes such as lemongrass which repels snakes and also is safe for goats to eat but you might want to protect as it is no use to you munched down.

Whatever the plant you might use to repel the snakes you have to research if the plant if not toxic to goat in case they nibble a leaf here or there.

Hope this helps.

Noreen and MadCatX like this.
  8. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    If your goats are on pasture I don't have any advice for that. Sorry

9. i feel like the best bet would be clearing out debris and stuff from the pen/barn area (pieces of tin, brush piles, ect.) then remove the sources of prey. making an area inhospitable for rats and toads will /help/ keep snakes away since there is no prey to hunt. also would LOVE to find some king snakes for the property.

two years ago i had a 6 month old buck get tagged on the nose by a copperhead. he was lucky in a sense for him to have been bitten where it was more skull and less soft tissue/blood vessels. his face swelled up something terrible and he was in real pain, but i treated him with penicillin and aspirin and he recovered without any nerve or tissue damage. it's really a roll of the dice with snakes. so hard to keep them away.

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I had 8 bales of straw on a pallet covered with a tarp. I guess it's been there 2-3 weeks. I unwrapped it last eve as I had just cleaned out two of the 4 pens in my barn.

A snake family was inbetween the bales. 20+ pencil sized, some larger and a really big one (that was not happy). Startled is the understatement on my part! Since I had gloves on, I put all but the big one off in the brush. (I live in the woods). I called them garter snakes, they were striped. I'm not a snake fan, but I know they do good.

I guess, don't have piles of stuff around the barn where they can hide!

SalteyLove likes this.