The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a post comment from this summer Goathiker mentioned something about goats in the wild having snappy knees if they're the herd queen. I'm sorry, I can't remember all the details but I want to say that it's so the others in the herd know where their queen is. Some people noticed that their domestic herds having one gal with snappy knees.

We introduced a new dominant girl to the herd a couple of days ago and while the battle royale was happening there was a lot of crazy knee snapping. Both girls snapped. I had never heard either of them snap before this.

Once the big fight was over, the victor walked around snapping, the loser walked away silently. SILENT KNEES

Now, the queen only snaps in the presence of the losing goat. She snaps as she walks toward her to remind her of her place. The losing goat has no snap at all.

Wacky.
If I hadn't read Goathiker's comment on another thread about this, I would have wondered what was going on.

·
8,168 Posts
My Herd Queen also does the snappy knee thing. I just figured she had arthritis, because I snap and have arthritis in most of the joints!
Maybe I am just Alpha! :)

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
All my goats used to "crackle" in the joints as they walked. Just now I realized that they haven't done it in a while. I know it's worse in the winter - I think that in mine it's arthritis, and probably due to minerals (I think it's stopped since I started copper bolusing). Never heard about the dominance thing!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
The only time I've noticed it, oddly enough, was in two separate goats that we owned several years apart, and both were the absolute bottom of the food chain, or whatever you call it! :shrug: Maybe they were just deficient in something....

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I remember that thread and I actually went out and listened to my 40 or so adult does. Here at least, the snapping knees mean nothing. From top to bottom of the ranks, some did and some didnt. But still interesting :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
My queen has snappy knees. She didn't til I sold the other dominant girl. Very interesting I always thought the other girl had arthritis because she was really snappy I hope she's still snappy where she moved to. I miss that goat!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
my queen has snappy knees too, and I know at least she's not hurting, she bounds around like a crazy gal. Interesting...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Our king ( a wether, they live with the girls ) has snappy knees aswell, i always thought that he was just getting arthritis because of his age and weight but this makes sense aswell.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I have tow that snap.. My herd queen and her daughter.. Though her daughter isn't very 'queen like' lol!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
So does my queen. I thought something was wrong with her at first but she acts totally normal. She didn't start until we added another doe... that's kind of crazy!

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
The only one I have snapping now is old Jeter and Guinen on occasion. The other big boys have been moved out of the main herd and it has gotten very small now. Jeter has 10 years of negative CAE tests so I doubt that's it.

This actually started from something that as said at a rondy. Bull elk click their knees to keep the herd together. It's a sound that won't bring predators or competition to the herd. Since then I've been trying to figure out if that is the reason so many lead goats click. With many dominate goats you may have many clickers.:D

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got the test results back yesterday, the clicky girl/queen is CAE neg. She doesn't click all the time either. Only when she's looking angry and puffy. She's a tough one. And confirmed pregnant too. It's all very interesting and may just be coincidence.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I remember that thread and I actually went out and listened to my 40 or so adult does. Here at least, the snapping knees mean nothing. From top to bottom of the ranks, some did and some didnt. But still interesting :)
Same here. I remember that and checked everyone out and had about 10 that did that. I thought OK I lost my queen so maybe the need to figure it out. Yesterday I was taking a break and sitting out by their water and noticed I still have a ton of snaps going on. BUT she still might be onto something. I watch my boats when I turn them out, they have 800 acts to roam.....they go from tree to tree kinda in a line. By the time the last goat gets to tree #1 that first goat that got there is off to tree #2. So maybe its so the less dominant knows where the more dominant are. I know the lesser dominants do not creak when they walk. So maybe having a large herd of 70 and a large area to cover there is more creaking knees???????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts