Sniffing polls, not an exact science......

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by peggy, Jan 29, 2011.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Well, that theory got blown out of the water...lol... Sabrina definately had a bucky smell in her poll area and she deliver a beautiful baby girl yesterday. Not that I'm complaining.....lol... I am thrilled. But this is my first time so we'll see what happens with the other girls when they have babies.

2. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I'm still sniffing everyday... in fact, I've probably sniffed everyday since she was bred.. Ha ha. With the exception of the Buck's smell right after she was bred, I have not noticed any bucky smell... still have 2 or 3 weeks to go. I sure hope this means a girl or 2 for me!
    Congrats on your little girl!

3. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks and I hope you have girls too. I am posting pics in another thread.

4. yeah IDK about this whole poll thing yet?? We tried it on Rosie and Tina. Tina had a very distinct bucky smell and delivered :kidred: :kidred: :kidblue: ,
    Rosie had NO smell and delivered :kidred: :kidblue:

So I'm not quit sure what to think? :shrug: Will be trying it on my 2 does due the 5th through the 15th!

5. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    My doe who kidded Dec 17 smelled horriblyy bucky, I mean BAD! And my buck was clear across the property from her and was even sold a few months before She kidded and her smell got worse ...She gave me three bucklings. Lucky me! Hahaha I'm not sure how much truth there is to the theory this was my first kidding, I just wanted to throw my experience out there

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's just something "fun" to do as we go nuts waiting for kids!

It was actually accurate the first time I tried it...last year, 2 does were really bucky and 1 wasn't..the 2 that stunk each had bucks, the 1 that didn't had twin does. Did it again this year and I'm getting a faint buck smell from 1...the other 2 smell like hay so we shall see in the next few weeks if it was as accurate as last year.

7. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I might try it this year. I haven't sniffed them at all, but I'll sniff the two I have due in March tomorrow. I am going trail riding with a friend. He is going to think I am insane! He already gave me a very weird look when I checked the pooch of one who is supposed to be due in April (if bred.)

8. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    I tried this last year with Emily and I smelt nothing, she kidded with triplet bucks.

9. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I sniffed all my girls every time i was out there hugging on them, not a single one had any smell at all and they all gave me single huge bucklings, lol.

10. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

it never works for me....but I like to do it as a fun little thing!