The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you found to be deficient in the hay sold locally that you feed to goats?

Is it deficient for sheep?

What local feed sources for bulk purchases to save money have you found?

:goattruck:
New to this area and need to know what to expect ;)
I have Saanen x Boer and Saanen x nubian , PB Nubian, la Mancha x Boer goats.
The sheep are Katahdin and Katadhin x shetland , katahdin x icelandic for meat.
All kinds of poultry for eggs and meat.
(3) guard dogs to fend off the boarder crossers and mushroom pickers that abound and ruin land around here !

Any info would be appreciated!
:D
M of Wildcrafting in WA

·
14,615 Posts
Our alfalfa is from eastern Wa & Ive never tested it but we are in selenium def area here. We have to do BoSe.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Well in the Benton / Franklin counties what I have found to be most deficient is the growers :) I go outta state and get my alfalfa transported in :)
Really? Tons of hay out here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How often do I need to BoSe?
I have dairy breeds, they are on pasture, get 2nd and 3rd cut local hay and forage. Understory forest plants. Plenty of water : )

Thanks for the welcome : )

Do I need to feed alfalfa during gestation or just after when milking.

They are just bred 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hubby usually surfs Craigslist for local cutting but, it's a crap-shoot and have been disappointed more than once. I'd like to find a regular local source too. However, our local natural (no chemicals) growers want your arm and leg for a bale.

Following hoping to find a good source.

In Whatcom County, up the Mt Baker hwy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Fortunately, we live right by the boarder and can get some great feed/grain super cheap from Canada. Our locals buy it and resale it so we don't have to deal with the boarder.(Hubby did that once and NEVER again. They treat you like your transporting drugs and cut all our bags of grain, plus detained him at the boarder for 1.5 hours.)

We get our hay and alfalfa from the same local distributor but only get what he as available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
side I will need 3 or so cords of wood to finish winter.question : Firewood : )

I will need 3 or so cords of wood to finish winter. We have a batch of wet wood that burns, but not well. Do you know of any reputable people up this way selling firewood?

I appreciate the input : )

Wildcrafting LLC

Michele
:snowlaugh: Luvin' the snow :coffee: :stars:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry, I don't know of any. We usually cut our own from our property. Had a friend who used to do it but, isn't into it anymore. There are two places on Mt Baker Hwy that sell but, I can't vouch for their quality of dry wood.

And yes, LOVING the snow, finally!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts