The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got two new weanlings 2 days ago, they are March babies. I got a doeling and a wether. The wether this morning woke up with a snotty nose and goopy eyes. It was a big transition for him, so I'm wondering if it's the stress of the new place and all? Also, I know bucks are not supposed to eat alfalfa, but can wethers eat alfalfa? How should I treat the wether? The kids are sleeping separately at this point till I know the queen doe won't hurt him, as she was chasing him around on the first day. (the doeling is actually her daughter, that was bottle fed at a different farm, and now I have her back)

·
Administrator
84,628 Posts
He can eat Alfalfa, but it is important to feed at a 2:1 ratio for wethers, I would get some Ammonium chloride to give to him, that comes in some grains or the stuff itself, to try to prevent it.

As to the snotty nose. Get a temp first, to see how he is there. If it is sub or normal, it may be a cold, vet RX can be used and clean up the gooby eyes, then drip PenG in the eyes, no needle. Give probiotics and Fortified vit B complex shot. 6cc's

If his temp is high, start antibiotics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts