snotty noses AND eyes ...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Julie, May 26, 2008.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    What can I do to help baby goats with snotty noses and eyes ? I was giving VetRX ... but what can be done for the eyes ? I didn't give VetRX today, I hate to keep giving it to them CONSTANTLY ! But I guess if that really will "CURE" them ... then I will do it until they're better, but WILL it CURE them ... or just releive them of their symptons a little ?

I want to sell these babies ... so that's why I need to get them "over" this ... fast. I have someone interested in one or two of them ... so I need to do something to clear up their snots NOW (like yesterday) ?

P.S. they also were given nutridrench two days in a row

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Julie, It could be just allergies. I would just wipe the noses and eye, and try to keep the clean. I use baby wipes to wipe the noses, but I would use a Kleenex for the eyes.
    If the eyes are to bad, I have used tea bags. Soak them in a little water, and hold them on the eyes of the goats. It helps for a irritation. I had a baby born, and she would not open her eyes, and they were watery really bad. She had gotten some amniotic fluid in them and it irritated them really bad. We help the tea bags on them three times a day for 15 minutes at a time. We did that for 5 day and she was fine.
    If there noses are still bad then yes you can continue the Vet Rx.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nutri drench, Fastrack, VetRx are all things that will help them though it isn't like an imediate cure. YOu have to give it time to work. Once you get a cold it lasts for 7-10 days so think of it like that.

if you need fastrack gel contact me - I have a tube I can send you.

how bad are the eyes? just some clear discharge in the morning or all day long?

Pollen really irritates their eyes so that could be a culprit too.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With the wierd weather, I have all of mine getting crusties around their eyes and they have runny noses...clear but it's not funny when your on your way to work when someone decides to use your sleeve as a tissue!

I use a damp washcloth to help their eyes and wipe the dirty stuff from their noses...the nights being cool and the dampness of the rain lately has brought on this..all is fine otherwise. The vet rx is good to continue with as it does relieve their discomfort but there isn't a quick fix for anything needing to run it;'s course such as allergies..are these the saanen kids you have?

5. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    One of my guys has seasonal allergies and I use Vet rx on him whenever he needs it. I love the smell but then I also love Vicks vapor rub!