Snotty Noses UPDATE: Runny Poo! :( Help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KW Farms, Oct 14, 2008.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    UPDATE!! I now have a couple that are getting diarhea and are really quiet, these have thick runny noses. :help: What do I need to give them?? I'm getting a little worried. I haven't given them anything as I figured it was a cold going around and most of their noses have cleared up...I just have these few babies that are having problems. Thanks in advance!

Alright, so i've started noticing. I've probably got 4 young kids 9 weeks to 5 months and a few adults that have real snotty noses and one of them has crusty, goopy, nasty stuff around his eyes. Anyone know what I can give them. I feel really bad cause they look like they have a cold and don't seem to want to play with the others and whatnot. They're eating and drinking perfectly fine, they just seem a little quieter.

Anyone know what this is...what can I give them? :shrug: I'm guessing I should seperate them also.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: Snotty Noses

I think it's the goat flu. lol

All my kids had that too. Well those symptoms. Went through every one of them and it took a while for them to get better. I didn't treat with anything but vet rx unless they had a temp. I am pretty sure they got it from one of the shows. :(

3. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

See I was thinking maybe it was just like a cold. :shrug: I'm going to keep them as warm as possible (it's starting to get a little chilly here) and watch them close. Poor guys. I hope that's all it is though.

4. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa

One of our boys sometimes has the clear discharge from his nose and I treat him with Vet RX and it seems to take care of it. I also have a 5 month old wether that has one runny eye. My daughter brings him in the house and sits on the couch with a warm compress for about 30 mins. It seems to be helping and both the goat and my daughter enjoy watching tv together. :)

5. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama

I agree with RunAround and Deenak... A few of my girls got the same thing last winter, and I used Vet Rx. You can order it from tractor supply and you just put a couple of drops in their nose a few times a day (directions are on the bottle). It is supposed to be for any respiratory problems. Now in January 2007 when I had Boers, I had a couple of them get a REALLY bad cold, and the vet gave me NuFlor for them, but if your's is just runny nose and eyes then I would think the VetRx would fix them up :wink: but maybe someone else on here will have some other advice, or even some natural herbs you could give them :shrug:

6. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Bumping this up!!

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would get a Fecal done to see if you aren't dealing with Cocci to. If you can't get that done then I would just start them on Albon, or whatever you use for Cocci.

Do any of them have temps?

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Kylie -

You should be able to pick up Corrid at the local feed store. It ranges from a 16 oz bottle for 20.00 to a gallon for about 90.00 for the cocci.

Try to get a fecal if you can. Make sure and give them some pedilyte or gatorade so that they do not become dehydrated, maybe even some fast track or nutridrench. As far as an antibiotic - maybe LA200 - what do you all think??? Pen might not be strong enough.

Can you listen to their chest - does it have a rattle?

Have you taken a temp? If so what is it?

Have you given pepto for the diahreah?

I hope you are able to get it under control and everyone better :wink:

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    With my experience with the snotty nose and temp the Biomycin worked to bring down the temp. The runny noses still lasted a couple days after I was done giving the Biomycin.

I also gave Pen G to one of my girls and that seemed to work better. I hated giving it though since it's more shots. I did 1cc per ten pounds twice a day for 7 days.

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    how are they doing?

11. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Unfortunately I lost the thermometer so can't take a temp. at the moment,,,going to try and run up town tomorrow and get one. They seem to be doing fine, still quiet, i've been giving them warm water and good hay and they're on grass at the moment, and i've got their little house with heat lamps hooked up...i'm going to get the meds and stuff tomorrow morning. I hope we can get everyone recovered soon. Thanks so much for the help guys! I'll keep you updated!

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Kylee - Hope they get better soon. :hug:

13. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks....i'm really hoping they'll start feeling better soon. Poor guys.

14. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    If I were you I'd get a fecal, and quickly. Very early this year I brought a new goat into my herd who carried a strain of cocci I'd never dealt with before. It was gram-positive and very resistant to treatment, and the cocci prevention I was using at the time was not effective. Notably, one of the symptoms this form of cocci FIRST presented with was runny eyes and noses, leading me to believe I had a URI and treating for that.

Also, don't forget that LA200 and related drugs do not work in nursing/bottle fed animals!

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree....if the runny poo hasn't corrected itself, Kylie it would be in the best interest of the affected goaties to have a fecal done...and treated accordingly....way too often the "subtle" signs are confused with something else....it would save you on guessing and possibly have them healthy asap.....Helmstead...is it the fact that nursing kids have milk in their bellies that causes the LA200 to be not as effective?

16. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yes, I can't find the article anywhere for my life, but it has been suggested that the milk counteracts the oxytetracycline. Another important note on LA200 is that it can interfere with bone and tooth growth in youngsters...so generally it shouldn't be used on immature or pregnant animals.

17. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    UPDATE: Everyone's poo is almost back to normal :clap: . The babies w/ runny poo are starting to clear up and they're all looking a lot better,,,thank goodness!! I still am not to sure what that was about, I gave them some meds and gave them a little pepto. They seem to be a lot better. Thank so much everyone for the suggestions...they helped a lot!!

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    glad that they are doing better!!!