Snotty Noses

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by all1965, Dec 25, 2007.

1. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I have twin bucks that are 1 week old. Last night they had snotty noses. I figured it was just from being out playing but this morning they still had snotty noses and they are stalled at night. When I pick them up they don't rattle of anything and they are playing and bouncing around but I just don't want them to get sick real fast.

Any suggestions? Should I just leave them alone or what?

2. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Have you had a change in weather? Either that or the barn could be causing it. If it's just runny, and not green or anything, I'd leave them alone.

3. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    No not really a change in weather. It's been 40-50 during the day and 20's-30s at night.

They didn't have much of a runny nose tonight so hopefully it's nothing.

4. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Our weather has been the same and we have runny noses here too. Just clear tho. I think its just from the cold. When people go out in the cold, they start sniffling a little too. Im pretty sure its nothing.

CJ

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can give them nutri drench and VetRex but other then that I would just let them be unless you notice anything more serious in their symptoms

6. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Just get some Vet Rx and Cough Free and keep it on hand... these are natural remedies; they don't sound 'really' sick, so they don't need any meds, I don't think.

7. Stinkerbelle

Stinkerbelle New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have lots of snotty noses and a little coughing too. Been giving Vet RX and that seemed to help some. So afraid the Moms will give it to the babies. I had some separated as soon as I noticed, but others got it anyway. Poor Belle has it reall bad. I gave her a shot of LA200, Vet Rx, and a shot of Banamine. She just looks so miserable. I even take them warm molasses water. It seems as if it is everywhere. My friend in the next county said she has 18 of hers all snotted up. I am sure it is this weather change. Is there any thing else we can do? Mary

8. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    It sounds alot like what our kids get in the fall, when the weather changes. vet-rx works great to keep the nostrils clear. Clean the nose and apply every few hours. If they run a fever I use Bio-Mycin which is like LA200 but it does not sting. I also give Banamine paste for discomfort. The older goats don't seem to be bothered by the change

9. Stinkerbelle

Stinkerbelle New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    All of my adult goats have had it. Bello, my buck had it really bad. He just stood there, head down, with snot streaming down, eyes closed and shivering. It wasnt that cold. The Vet rx, LA200, and Banamine worked great. One hour later, he was back to his old self, eating flirting with the Does. Two of the new babies have slight snotty noses, but they are still jumping about. It just has to run its course.