The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the kids have come down with snot noses over the last few days. They are 4-6mos. It is slightly cloudy.
No adults have it, one kid is going to his new home today.
Have Vet RX on hand but it really hasnt helped much.
Have not taken temps either but they are all otherwise is normal.

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
I'm currently treating a 4 month old and a 2 month old for Pneumonia. No temps. Eating and playing normally. Only signs were an occasional cough and breathing heavier than I liked to see. I did take them to the vet for the pneumonia diagnosis. He put them on Nuflor.

It first started with the 4 month old. I treated her with Vet Rx for a few days which did nothing and then I took her to a vet (my dog vet who will also see goats). My dog vet put her on Naxcel which I decided to try since she wasn't bad (wasn't happy about getting Naxcel for treating pneumonia). Well, by the time I took her to the 2nd vet (5 days later), she was worse with fluid in her lungs. And this was while she was on Naxcel.

So I would not mess around with it too much. Today was the 3rd shot of Nuflor and my 4 month old seems worse today. No temp but won't eat and kind of moping. She has been getting Probios daily since I bought her. Today I gave her a Fortified B Complex shot and 5cc of Replamin Plus. I'm hoping that will help. If not, then back to my new large animal vet (the 2nd vet I went to).

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
He had me do a loader dose of double the normal dose and now I'm doing 5 days in a row of a regular dose of Nuflor.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Karen, I would add C D antitoxin as well..since she is not eating..help her tummy while she mends..

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
Actually, she is already eating again. The B Complex shot seemed to have taken care of the problem. She was eating about 2 hours after the shot. But thanks!

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
She was breathing super fast. I watched her breathing and I watched my other goats breathing. Hers was much faster than everyone else. Since her breathing was so much more faster than everyone and the occasional cough, I knew something was up.

She does seem to be finally doing better today. She has had 3 doses of Nuflor.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
glad she is doing better :)

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

Well I had to be gone for the weekend so nobody got meds. But I talked a few breeders who have had bouts of snot noses for no reason then clear up for no reason. :rolleyes:
A buckling was to be picked up & I gave the option of leaving him here for an extra few days. She felt better leaving him here.
He just went to his new home where he will be in Doe Heaven.:cool:
By this weekend I will be out of 013 crop except for two doelings who I may or may not keep.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts