Snow and Naked Udders

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Sonrise Farm, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I want to clip Saca's udder and post it on here---it's the size of a softball and looking very nice but it is sooooooooooooo hairy :roll:. And we have alot of snow. What can I do?

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I know a breeder up in Maine who clips udders, and it is super cold up there as well. I would do it... :greengrin:

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I clipped Sassy and Cordelia's udder - well, not totally naked but most of the hair was clipped off. But we don't have snow. . . .

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I probably wouldn't. With the snow I would hate to make the doe uncomfortable and chilled just to get udder shots. I would take the clippers though and clip some of the fur on the udder so you can get a little better idea, but definately wouldn't shave down to skin.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I wouldn't shave in this cold...BRRRR....would you walk outside in the snowy cold with no shirt? lol Trim the longer fuzz off if you want to but don't shave the udder...oooo...I got chills just thinking of that :ROFL:

6. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    No I wouldn't do it either not if you have snow or even if it is really cold. Getting a picture isn't worth a chilled goat to me. They grow that hair for a reason, to keep them warm. Just my opinion though... :shades:

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I guess the question we need to know is how soon she is due... ? If she isn't due for awhile mabe just trim some hairs, but if she is due very soon you could shave it, but I don't think I would do a surgical clip if they spend alot of time in the snow. Can their udders get frost bitten like that?? I would think that they could.

8. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    It's six am here and I'm listening to an audio book.
    See, I am scared of clipping her udder because she adores the snow---she spends all day playing it and she turns into a snowman when it snows. I think I'll wait until the 23rd or someting--she is due February second,

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Lots of people do a pre-kidding clip job - to help make your doe, when she kids, less messy. So, like Chelsey said, clip a little of the hairs so that we can get an idea of what it looks like (if you still want to post it) but don't shave it bare, like you would if you were to take her to show.

This may give you a small idea of the clip job I did in December. It's cold here and snowed for about 2 weeks but it's probably not near as cold as where you are.

[​IMG]

She still has some hair to keep her warm and stays in a dry barn with lots of bedding. She did just fine. :)

10. sandyj

sandyj New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Have you ever wiped off a car window with your bare hand? YIKES!!! It only takes a few seconds to freeze the hand. I live in Minnesota winters and wouldn't want to even think about going outside topless, as Dolly said. BBBRRRRRRR!!! The thought did make me laugh out loud though!
    sandyj