so at what point will mama begin to wean a kid herself?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by sdshoars, Apr 13, 2009.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    we are thinking about just leaving the kids on mom until she decides she is done feeding them, at what point will they wean the babies themselves? with me expecting a baby the end of the summer and my crazy hormones that make me cry at anything, we think just leaving them so i don't have to listen to sad goaties is a good idea. thanks!

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I have no firm idea, but when we went and got our nigies they were about 6 months old and several were still nursin......

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It can vary...but some may not .....soon enough... :(
    you should dry them up... and give there bodies a chance to recoup...it does take alot out of them....if your doe is getting thin ...she is being drained and her kids need to be pulled..... :wink: I sympathize with you ...though.. but sometimes we need to..... :hug:

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Some will knock their kids off asap and others, like my Anna, will keep feeding their kids until the next batch of kids comes. I would keep and eye on your doe and try it, but just be aware that she may let them keep nursing until you decide enough is enough.

5. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    aw, sad day. i will do it then. and just bawl myself to sleep too.

so dumb question then... if maple gives me a doe kid i might keep her, can i just seperate them for a couple of weeks and then put her back in and she won't nurse, or will i have to dry her off before i can put her daughter back in?

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    R u gonna bottle feed? Then for me the answer ws keep kidd seperate for about a week then they dont see momma as food. and you can always teat tape.

7. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    no, no bottle feeding! my big pregnant belly couldn't handle all that. i just don't want to deal with the stress of weaning if i don't have to, so i was thinking about just letting mom do it. we'll see.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good luck.....my doe Boots, let her "kid" Tilly nurse on her at 3 YEARS OLD! :hair:

I kept Tilly because she was a carmel marked doe, it wasn't until I took her tovacation at my moms for 3 months that Boots "forgot" she was her kid.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    You will need to separate for like 2+ months for mom to dry up and for kid to be fully weaned.

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Yep, a good few months after Isa was weaned, putting her back with her mother and she would go straight for the udder (and then Whiss would beat her up). So often they don't like being weaned!

LW

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    If they are anything like mine ... NEVER! Sometimes I think my does are too good mothers lol

One of my does ... was weaned four times ... she was sucking at almost a year old. Only been weaned now since I bought her so she is 20km away from mum lol It will be interesting to see whether her kids are the same.