The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two does and a buck.
The does of course live together, the buck has his own place.
I know common practice seems to be to turn the buck out in your herd of does. I really do not want the does house to smell like him. They're right in the barn and share their "paddock" with 16 hens and a few bunnies. Also, I only want the Alpine doe bred, not the little one. Do I move her in with him? Or lead her over to him every day/every other day to see if she is in heat? Or lead him to her? So far, he hasn't told me anything. He is a first year buck and he just stands there shaking when he sees the doe coming over. I'm sure they need to live together for him to settle down.

I guess the question is, does anyone just lead a doe to a buck or buck to the doe and will that work?

· Registered
1,694 Posts
I do that. I like to be able to know for sure when they were bred so that's part of why I do it. I also don't want my does to smell.

I just wait till I see my doe acting different and take her over or if it's a tricky doe I just take her over everyday. It works really well and I have 3 does bred from doing that.

· Super Moderator
16,973 Posts
Just keep in mind her heat might hit at night time so you might not catch that cycle. Before I had my breeding harness I would check them morning and evening to see if one was being bred. I still had a few surprises from the ones that were bred at night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.