The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your help, I have a pygmy doe that I do not have a due date for since the guy I got her from swore she was not bred. Well she started bagging up august 7th and I thought ok month and a half at most she'll have them. Well we're past that point. She has had discharge for about a month, not much just enough to notice it on her tail. Ligs have come and gone. Her vulva has been "open" for about a week. Today I looked out thought I saw her pushing ran outside and by time I got there she was up and eating cardboard that flew into her pen. Out of curiosity I checked her and it feels like she's dilated, could push one finger through. So do I need to go check for misplaced babies or since she's not showing active labor leave her be? This is my first kidding and I am so confused at this point...
I apologize if the pictures aren't that great or crooked, I'm on my phone. Also she has been more open then that today but that's all she wanted to show me :/

ForumRunner_20130926_182917.jpg

ForumRunner_20130926_182844.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
Does she seem in distress at all? Usually they bag up about a month prior to kidding but not every doe reads the book.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
her udder is not tight from what I see in the pic..what you discribe could be prelabor...I would leave her be and keep and eye on her..since she is not in distess, be sure she is eating drinking and pooping berries and peeing well..Its not uncommon for prelabor to last a week or longer..lots of pushing stretching, pressinghead against trees or walls...restlessness and some does will go off feed..when that udder get tight and shiny and she begins to paw at the ground, lay down, get up lay down...then she is close...soon will begind pushing seriouly...happy kidding

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both, it's nice to have some reassurance since I'm so lost with her. She's not in distress and still pooping/peeing normal, her appetite has decreased some but not much. Happybleats you are correct about her udder, it's not full just yet but with it being almost two months since she started one I was getting concerned. Thank you both for your responses!

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Your welcome...:D First time is scary...when kidding season is here, I hardly sleep !!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol! Yeah I have been checking on her every couple of hours for the last week! My husband and friends think I'm nuts, officially known as the crazy goat lady now lol. It's ok though cause I love them :)

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
That just means you belong to the largest crazy group I know and in good company :D

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I didn't have a breeding date for my Pygmy doe, Peggy Sue. When she bagged up, I thought it would be soon. A month later, no babies, but she leaked a little milk so I thought NOW we must almost be there. Two false alarms and SIX WEEKS after the milk leaked she had a perfectly normal labor just like everyone describes and popped out two beautiful kids.

Goats, dontcha love 'em? ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts