The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it's been 6 month of got buying and goat raising .
I decided to to we're I'm at in debt.
So lets see
25 goats total for the year 1800.00
Sold 9
14 left and weare at 1175.00 in debt on goats
Now housing and fenceing
About 900.00 in metal
About 1800.00 at lowes
84 lumber add another 475.00
Tax and farm store about 700.00
Hay- around 270.00
Grain- around 90.00
O and yea paper work 310.00
This puts us at - 5100.00- in the red for the year so far
What I have to show
Nice 12x24 mini barn
4 mini goat houses
5 acears of land fenced in with electric and woven fence
14 goats mostly boer
Abga and usbga
Couple bucks
12 does
A few bred
And we have kept
3 kids
. So lets see how these next 6 months go since I've spent most big money just got to not buy no more lol

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Well it's been 6 month of got buying and goat raising .
I decided to to we're I'm at in debt.
So lets see
25 goats total for the year 1800.00
Sold 9
14 left and weare at 1175.00 in debt on goats
Now housing and fenceing
About 900.00 in metal
About 1800.00 at lowes
84 lumber add another 475.00
Tax and farm store about 700.00
Hay- around 270.00
Grain- around 90.00
O and yea paper work 310.00
This puts us at - 5100.00- in the red for the year so far
What I have to show
Nice 12x24 mini barn
4 mini goat houses
5 acears of land fenced in with electric and woven fence
14 goats mostly boer
Abga and usbga
Couple bucks
12 does
A few bred
And we have kept
3 kids
. So lets see how these next 6 months go since I've spent most big money just got to not buy no more lol
I need about $14k more in expense this year to avoid the taxman. Looks like I need to go by more goats before the end of the year:):cool:

·
14,615 Posts
You have improved the value of your property.
And yes, the first year or two is a huge investment, especally if you are building barn or shelters, fencing etc.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll hang in there lol just a little down now that's a load of money for 6 month
But it feels good when the kids r born

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
I have 15 goats. Currently 7 doelings, 1 buckling, 2 bucks, and 5 mature does. I have $3700 in the animals price alone. That is not even counting the $400 a ton for show feed I spent and need to go get again. I think I only spent about $600 on hay the past 1 year. So your not doing bad. Could be worse.

·
Banned
988 Posts
I dont know if I wanna add it up!! It might scare me... I have my own hayfields that I have cut on shares so I dont have that expense. An yes fencing is gonna be your biggest expense for the first few years. T-post are 4 stinkin dollars!!! Maybe I should be in the T-Post makin business!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know if I wanna add it up!! It might scare me... I have my own hayfields that I have cut on shares so I dont have that expense. An yes fencing is gonna be your biggest expense for the first few years. T-post are 4 stinkin dollars!!! Maybe I should be in the T-Post makin business!!
Try wood post 6.50 each and corners are 11.99 each and for gates.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I feel your pain, or your wallet. I started in the goat biz about three months ago. Bought 9 boer kids and 2 bottle babies at the auction. Then bought two pair, two bred does, and an open doe from a breeder. And the fencing, oh the fencing. Then I built a creep feeder...... I just hope I can make a little profit on my first round a feeder kids! But I have high hopes for the upcoming kids.

·
Registered
31,496 Posts
booohoohoohoooo...Im sorry I cant answer...I'm looking at my check book and its making me cry...:mecry:

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've been raising goats for 3 yr started with cheep prego Pygmy mixes and worked my way up. Never in the negative to far. Last yr with the money I had saved I started buy reg Nigerians. Then this winter I had all kinds of illness hit me within a 3 month period. By the time I got it under control with vet and meds I was well over $1000 in the hole:(. So for this yr I will be staying in the hole. As I got feed expense. Hopping next yrs kid crop sells good.

·
8,389 Posts
My goats were my big tax break for last year as our cow operation made money! But, enough loss already! I have spent over $600 this month
on vet bills. I have never had to have any vet care for over 6 yrs. Then suddenly this year a doe had kidding trouble, the pneumonia that took my
best milker and the charge to put her down. Yikes, if dh sees how much they are costing, he may suggest I get rid of them! (not that I would, but...)

Oh, and the loss of income for 4 registerable Alpine bottle kids- I almost gave them away when I had the emergency trip to Florida last week. No one would feed them, so
I pretty much gave them to a friend.

I hope to break even next year and actually show a small profit the following year! Goats sure can be expensive... :p

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Oh you don't even come close to what I spend!
But I spend around the upwards of $2000 a month in feed, yes, feed alone. But the kids pay for the year every kidding season.
And the prices on my goats are definatley NOT cheap. The neighbor almost had to move when her dogs ripped up a few of my goats. But thats what happens when your dogs shreds a $20,000 Permanent SGCH, bred doe, and it dies of wounds and infections.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Wow, 20k? Are ALL your goats worth that much? Sheesh. That's really sad, though :(

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Wow, 20k? Are ALL your goats worth that much? Sheesh. That's really sad, though :(
She was a finished permanent superior genetics grand champoin doe, bred AI to a buck that has been dead for 20 years, She was a spotlight sale doe, so yes she was really expensive.
Most my day old bottle kids will sell at $800-1200 and adults go from there.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I know a lady that is a millionare with thousands of acres of ranch land, and she goes to texas several times a year and pays upwards of 10K per goat, she normally comes back with at least ten goats (Boer), she's got to be about 80 years old by now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts