The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my triplet does was attached by the donkeys at 10 days old.

ForumRunner_20130823_134309.jpg

ForumRunner_20130823_134319.jpg

These are the x-rays from that fist day after, before a pin with an external apparatus was tried. It failed within hours.

The vet said to come back at two weeks for suture removal and we'd try something new.

Something new wasn't really. She wanted to try the pins again with the apparatus. We made an appointment for the following Tuesday. In the meantime I happened to be in the town where my first goat vet was and stopped in, showed him those x-rays and asked what he would do.

He said he would do an internal pin if anything. He gave me the option of letting it heal as is, she would be fine but have a deformity of the femur. She was already walking and putting weight on it, she would probably be fine but he would do the surgery if I wanted.

I opted for the surgery.

ForumRunner_20130823_134851.jpg

This is when he got one of the ends of the bone exposed. Long story short...

IMG_20130823_131027.jpg

Pin is in and we are on our way home. :)

ForumRunner_20130823_135139.jpg

If you have any good thoughts to spare, please drop one our way. Thank you all.

Lori

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
wow that was bad! i hope for a swift recovery, at least she is young ans the young always heal better than older ones. something like that happened to my dog as a puppy, 15 years later she's still with us and her pin has never caused her any problems..

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
awe..poor baby...best wishes for full and quick recovery

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first chance to check back on this thread...

THANK YOU ALL for the kind words, prayers and best wishes. I posted that from my cell phone on the way home from the vet. haven't been on the computer since.

Her wound was bathed in some sort of long acting numbing solution (lasts 10-12 hours, according to the vet) and i gave her some metacam for the night. She was in some serious pain earlier, but is thankfully asleep right now. She had 16 ounces (16!) of milk tonight for supper, peed and pooped like a champ.

Lockdown again for *another* two weeks, but we are determined to save this leg. God help me, should i ever decide i need to sell her, i don't know who's gonna pay $3500 (that's my investment, plus profit ;) ) for a silly little buckskin goat.

I will pass along your good wishes when we wake up in the morning.

Again, thank you all.

Lori (and Toozie)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts