The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very frustrated this morning.

Yesterday afternoon I somehow pulled a muscle in my left shoulder.
This morning I asked the 2 oldest to take the 3 young does out to their pen. I'd feed them, etc. just with my shoulder hurting, I wanted to give it a rest without being dragged by the girls.

I'm standing there with the kids waiting for the bus, and the 4mo doe comes out of the barn and yells at me!
Then of course the other 2 follow, and the buck is next to the oldest of them. She's happily flagging him, teasing him! :eek::hammer:

I grab a nylon halter/lead, and run out and smacked him on the rump trying to chase him off, he mounted her, but didn't do the deed. WHEW! Think I got them in time <I hope!>.
I grabbed her, and she was unusually feisty, I had to pin her up against the barn and be rough just to get her under control, I don't like doing that, not at all :(
Finally got the lead around her neck, and had to basically drag her all the way to the pen.
Gave her a good smack on the rump with the end of my lead!
The buck had gone to chase the 2nd oldest, but she said 'I don't think so!' and thankfully her and the youngest followed me into the pen without issue.

I'm just so frustrated. This is twice now that someone has not locked the gate in less than a week! Happened the day before yesterday.

How hard is it to make sure gates are locked? There are 2 in this pen, one leading into the main pen, and one leading into the backyard/deck.

I've decided when I go out later, I am going to tie the gate to the main pen so that nobody opens it.

Needless to say, my kids will be getting a good scalding when they get home from school.

We always, always tell them the #1 rule with having animals is to make sure the gates are locked! There have been times we've asked 'is the gate locked' and then turn around and find out that a gate isn't locked!
The part that makes me so mad is the fact I had to be rough with the doe to get her under control. That bothers me :(

Anyway, such a lousy way to start the day.

I didn't sleep well thanks to my shoulder keeping me uncomfortable <maybe 3hrs of sleep!>. So... I'm going to lay down, and the naughty little girls will just have to get their feed late this morning.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im sorry you hurt and had a bad morning. I've been up all night with a painful neck. Tried to sleep but unsuccessful. I dont have kids around to forget to lock gates but I do have a clever buck that can open gates. Im constantly trying to stay on top of it and a step ahead. Hope you get some good rest and the morning starts off better in a few hours.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
sucky! next time, make your kids chase the animals and bring them back. then make them walk to school! that'll learn them!

hope your shoulder feels better soon. you should have a hot Epsom salt bath. that'll help calm the muscle and your nerves. a glass of wine probably won't hurt either :)

·
8,163 Posts
I hope your shoulder is better, soon! Banamine! (just kidding!) Can you take away a privilege from your human kids?
Something that will make them remember next time to double check the gates?

I remember as a kid not locking the gate to the pasture and the bull went through his gate, then walked out the gate I didn't lock and
ran out into the pasture with the young heifers.
Boy, was my dad mad! I lost barn privileges for a week! No barn at all, and I loved being in the barn! I still remember that 42 yrs. later! Now
I am obsessed with locking gates, doors, etc. in the barn. :)

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! It is 11:22am now, and I am getting ready to go feed. The wethers are crying like they've been abandoned, poor guys! But the girls have been quiet as a mouse, they must know mom is mad lol

I do feel better, thankfully, oddly it felt better to sleep on my shoulder! My arm is a little sore, still hurts to turn my neck very far without that muscle aching. It's right at the center of my back on the left side. I've never had one ache there before. Usually it's closer to my shoulder, or just my neck.

My kids should know better, they really should.
End of April they left a gate unlocked and partially open, I was working a horse event, and we had a doe due, so I called my neighbor to see if all was well. Thank GOD I did, because the doe and the young doe we had with her were out!
Scared the death out of me.

We'll definitely be finding a good punishment for it, just not sure what. But we'll come up with something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts