The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so happy with my FF. We weren't expecting her to be great because she was so small for an Alpine Nubian mix. But she had two kids, was a great mom, and at peak gave about 1 gallon and 1 quart while feeding her daughter (We had already sold her boy). Her half sister was already a good milker giving one gallon and 3/4 at peak until she started getting older. This year she only gave 1 gallon and 1/2 at peak.
Have you guys had any goats that were amazing FFs?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Wow, that is amazing! Congrats! I was wondering what kind of production those mixes were capable of.

I got some kids from an amish dairy here recently. The dairyman told me he expects his goats to produce around 15-16lbs/day, or they aren't profitable. Many of his produce over 2 gallons a day. So, I'm looking forward to next spring. I'm going to breed them to a ND buck the first year...so it will be awhile...darn.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
my ff doe is being a great mom, however since goat breeders here doesn't seem too fussed about milk quantity, my doe only gives a quart at 5.5wks freshening. when is the peak time for milk production after freshening?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I actually haven't ever had an FF! Lol All of my does I have bought as "experienced" kidders. :) I have three FFs that I will be breeding in October though, and I am excited to see what they give me! :D One is a 3/4 ND, 1/4 Pygmy, and the other two are Nubian/LaManchas. :D

Nchen, I believe peak production is 3 months into lactation. :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
my ff doe is being a great mom, however since goat breeders here doesn't seem too fussed about milk quantity, my doe only gives a quart at 5.5wks freshening. when is the peak time for milk production after freshening?
Peak production is at 12 weeks into lactation and at milking 2X a day at 12 hours apart.

·
2,203 Posts
Peak production is at 12 weeks into lactation and at milking 2X a day at 12 hours apart.
I actually would say that how many times a day you milk affects production as well, so that's why a lot of people milk 3x a day in advance of a show to put that extra demand on the doe. That's what we do here and honestly it works.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, that is amazing! Congrats! I was wondering what kind of production those mixes were capable of.

I got some kids from an amish dairy here recently. The dairyman told me he expects his goats to produce around 15-16lbs/day, or they aren't profitable. Many of his produce over 2 gallons a day. So, I'm looking forward to next spring. I'm going to breed them to a ND buck the first year...so it will be awhile...darn.
that will be awesome! What breed?

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, my ff does have to milk at least a gallon a day for them to be worth it, the vast majority of my does milk 2 gallons a day as ff's. And the production only goes up with the more freshenings they've had.
What type do you have? we are expecting her to go up to 2 gallons.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually haven't ever had an FF! Lol All of my does I have bought as "experienced" kidders. :) I have three FFs that I will be breeding in October though, and I am excited to see what they give me! :D One is a 3/4 ND, 1/4 Pygmy, and the other two are Nubian/LaManchas. :D

Nchen, I believe peak production is 3 months into lactation. :)
So you thinkk it's around three months? hmm I'll have to keep better records.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually would say that how many times a day you milk affects production as well, so that's why a lot of people milk 3x a day in advance of a show to put that extra demand on the doe. That's what we do here and honestly it works.
Well I would hate to do it 3 times a day we do it twice and that feels like enough. :D I don't show.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
yea...twice in a day sounds enough for a home milker. my girl still has her baby on her, so he gets milk during the day. :D

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh. Then maybe her milk will go up. :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
O.K. that sound about right.
Just saying, 3 months is pretty much exactly the same as 12 weeks. 4 weeks per month (roughly), hence 12 weeks per three months. ;)

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got it. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts