So how big

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Coraxfeather, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    How big do a Niggie gets?? I have seen them smaller then our pgymys and then larger then our babies. What is the average size of them??

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a max usualy of 23 inches -- but yes tehy can be smaller then a pygmy or be bigger.

3. MachoCabrío

MachoCabrío New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    There is no minimum size, however, there is a breed standard like Stacey was sharing.

Does must not be over 22 1/2 inches tall and bucks no more than 23 1/2 inches to be shown in American Goat Society sanctioned shows.

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Thats at the shoulder right?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes ...they are normally measured from the withers.... :wink: :greengrin:

6. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Niggies are about the same size, height ways, as my pygmy. My buck is a little bigger than my does, of course.

7. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    We have big pgymys Pancakes right now weighs in at 25 pounds and he is a year old. He is only a littel bit bigger then then rest of our pgymys yearlings.

8. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    If we have unregistered does and would like to breed them for milk and to sell the babies as pets, do we need to worry about body type and measurements?

9. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    No, because there are no standards you are trying to keep. You would want to make sure that the buck you use is is not too large compared to your does. For example don't breed a Nubian buck to your pygmy or Nigerian does. That could cause her to have kids that are too large for her to deliver.

10. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    We are trying to breed smaller Fainters. I was looking for the standard. We are very careful about who is breed to who around here *mubblesthatlastbreedingwasafluke* Just wanted to know how big they actuly get. I am getting a couple of does that hopefully are going to be breed to my Dude who even for a mini fainter isvery tiny and YES I had him check out by and can not find nothing wrong with him but he is tiny.

We are also just getting into getting Niggies and I am trying to get informaction about them as a breed in a whole.

11. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
  12. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    With ND bucks, oftentimes they go above the stick due to high withers. And withers tend to blow up during rut.