So...I am thinking maybe Belle is not pregnant :(

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Lawanda, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    The last possible date for her isn't til the middle of the first week of May, which is approximately May 4th or 5th...So there is still some hope, I guess.

But she has not got anything as far as udder goes. And she doesn't look anymore preggers to me than she did a month ago. She is actually very thin, you can see her hip bones, but I have heard that is ok for Alpines? On the other hand, she hasbeen laying down a lot lately, it seems...and that is unusual for her... SoI am going to try to be prepared. She is 6 years old and never been bred before...

Anyhow... I will be SO disappointed if she is not preggers :(

The girl said we could bring her back up and try again if she didnt take this time. We bred her to a Saanen buck.

Here is a pic of Belle from today:
    Standing
    [​IMG]
    Sitting
    [​IMG]

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What a pretty face.... :love:

She does look pretty thin....if it is her back bone ..I am seeing... in the 1st photo.. can you get a fecal done on her , check for cocci and worms.... :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she looks a bit thin for an alpine who isnt milking (sometimes they get that thin when lactating) and certainly doesnt look big enough to be pregnant - im sorry

what are you feeding her?

4. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I agree that she doesn't look preggers. Sorry :(

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    have to agree, nope. I am so sorry.

She is really thin. Have you done a fecal float on her? Look at that face, she is so cute, and I believe she know sit also. :clap:

6. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    We feed her corn, that is what her other owner fed her, so we always have too. And also hay, and she gets out now and browses a plenty.

I was so hoping. I am still gonna hope til after the second week of May, I think. lol But I really don't think she is either. Guess we will try again. She was with the buck for 6 weeks.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Her being an Alpine, she likely won't come into heat again until fall....this would be the normal breeding season for standard dairy goats....mini's like nigies will breed year round and have stronger heats/ruts in the fall as well.

She definately needs to have more than just corn as her grain, I would get her on a more balanced goat specific feed as well as the hay and browse she is getting now. Doing a slow introduction to the feed now will better her condition for breeding, pregnancy and lactation later.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I agree with Liz. Corn is not a well enough rounded diet for her. Try a sweet feed mine do well on a goat specific sweet feed. They dont like pellets

9. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Was this the first time she was exposed to a buck? If not, and she hasn't freshened at least once in that time, she may never freshen for you.

10. A corn based, and that does not mean all corn, is more for the meat breeds. Dairy breeds need far more and if she was bred I am guessing that may have been one of the issues. Most of the time a doe that does not have the nurishment needed will absorb the pregnancy. I agree you have a beauty there but I also agree that she is lacking something. Weather it be diet, worms, cocci, or a combination of two or all of these. I am sorry she didn't take but on the bright side, had she or if she has, you would or will have a very ill kid and I am afraid your doe might even look worse. You may have gotten a blessing in the long run. Lets get her bounced back and then try again. I am again thinking you have a great doe and now that you know a little more I think she is lucky to have a good owner to help her out.