So I banded Sugar's horns tonight...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I didn't want to do it. But after bringing home the skinny new alpine doe, she proceeded to beat her up with her horns (even though her horns are taped with PVC to keep her out of the fence). I have already had a few encounters with the horns, and some near misses. She's already gored our sheep wether once. So I have had it. This was the last straw, because I am bringing home one more papered alpine doe this weekend. I can't have her hurting or killing anyone, and she has gotten very aggressive with them. She's a nubian by the way.

How long will it take for her horns to fall off?

:sigh:

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'm not sure but I was going to ask how you went about this. I've got a little NMGA registered ND that wasn't disbudded. She's the only one I have like that and now she's really starting to use her little horns to her advantage. Do I have to wait until they're finished growing in to band them?

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    My friend has done this many times now, and I've observed it. It works really well. (With does anyways, and wethers)

It takes anywhere from just a couple weeks to six weeks for them to loose their horns. There's often screaming and blood. My friend catches the goat, puts blood stop powder on the wound, and wraps it if it needs to be.

Sometimes they scur, like Lily, but most of the time, the horns come off well, and haven't regrown that I've seen. Her buckling scurred, but they were better than big pointy horns

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I've had great success with banding horns. Yes, it can be painful so be prepared to give banamine. The first time I wrapped one of the does heads that was bleeding, she got an infection. It was nasty! I didn't wrap any of the other goats heads and they did fine without wrapping.
    You'll be soooo happy once her horns are gone.

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Just be careful of flies when they come off. I think we are in for a bad fly season. :sigh:

Gina

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah. I think it will be a bad fly season too. I will definatley get some quick stop. Her horns are pretty good size. I really didn't want to do it, and not that I like horns (I will never have a horned goat again) but I had to do it.

7. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I banded my Nubian and she got one band off. Had to wait till fly season was over and banded again and she got it off. I'll do it again when it is cooler this fall. I really hope not to have to do it in summer because the flies are really bad.

Anyhow, the horn that came off has not grown since, but the one that has a groove from the band has grown about another inch.

8. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Double post. Weird!

9. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    If you duct tape the band (and put two bands on just in case) it protects the band from being scraped off.
    Hope they come off soon for you.

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Do you have to wait until the horn is full grown to band it? I've got a kid with horns that need to go. ASAP. lol

11. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Everywhere I've read the sooner the better SterlingAcres.

12. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I did duct tape them in place.

It looks like my buckling's horns are coming back too even though he was disbudded. I'm afraid to band his horns though. I think I will wait just a little longer until I see how Sugar does. He is 4 months old right now.