The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Wait? There’s income? Lol. Jk (sort of).

I’m too early in all this to give actual experience but from what I’ve learned so far, I think it depends on what their focus and goal with the goat herd is. To sell the milk itself can take a lot of upfront investment to get all the needed approvals (at least in my state). But lots of things can be made from the milk that doesn’t have to meet all those costly requirements and still be sold for a profit. And the kids, it depends on the lines and the goals/market of the buyers. Our plan is nothing fancy. We plan to use the milk and sell the kids to pay for the goats we keep.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Goats are money sucking browsers....kid sales, on a year with 50% girl babies, make me break even.
My kid sales will support the feed/hay/supplies for all the farm animals but it is getting so much harder each year as feed prices & weather emergencies get worse..
I have never tried milking for production but I know one milking/show barn that shows a small profit most years.
I also know one milking barn that sells goat milk for pets that usually breaks even.

·
Fair-Haven
4,932 Posts
If you are looking at milk production, you have to look at the udder and track production of the dam AND what lines are behind the sire. For most buyers, ND and Pygmy crosses are pets. You won't get the udders out of the cross that you desire, usually unless you are really tuned into production, and pygmy goats are wonderful meat producers, for their size, but don't give the yield most folks are looking for.

·
8,501 Posts
If you want to make a million dollars with goats, start with two million!
Seriously, it takes alot of money to get to where you can legally ship and sell milk.
Most states do not let one just sell milk off the farm without a license. And, yes, milk can be
sold as "pet food", but be aware, if some person drinks it and becomes ill, you may be held liable.

Milk can carry all sorts of harmful bacteria, including tuberculosis. So, thinking about making money
on milk or selling kids, the kids are a better bet.

Get a decent blood line going- maybe show some goats, let people see what you have, buy quality from a good
breeder, etc. (showing has it's own set of problems).

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,719 Posts
I agree. Tell the person if they only want to make a profit, goats (of any breed) are not the way to go. Most of us are lucky to break even I feel. To answer their question, kids are going to give you more "profit" than milk. You can make and sell goat milk soap and that's not illegal....not sure if it's profitable though.

Reactions: alwaystj9

·
Registered
735 Posts
A buyer asked me this and I don’t know how to reply..
Do you think income from this breed(Nigerian dwarf) comes from milk or kids?
Strictly speaking, income is just money that you bring in. You would get income from selling anything. Milk, meat, fibre, live goats, mounted horns, goat paintings, barn tours, goat yoga....
Making a profit is more complicated. That is your income minus your expenses. ALL your expenses. Not just cost of goats and feed, but vet and medical bills, any construction costs (shelter, fencing, etc.), equipment costs (goat stand, halters, milking stuff, etc.), goat related travel costs, guard dog expenses, landscaping needs, and many other things you may have to do.
By this point almost all of us are way in the hole. And that does not yet include your time investment.

I don't thing you can "make money" on goats unless you have a fairly large milk or meat operation.

All I look for is to offset my costs of my goat hobby a little. So I sell kids as the need arises. But that does not even cover feed costs.

Don't buy goats becase you want money. Buy goats goats because you want goats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts