So I have the Opportunity......

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Jan 26, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

To get a JoyfulHearts Wether for free.

The only problem is he is a special needs baby, he only had one testicle descend so he has to have a vet surgically castrate him when he is older.

Fern, is willing to give me $150 towards his operation..

He would also need to be bottle fed, which Im not sure I can do, because I have school....

He will still be a good show wether and has nice bloodlines

Im wondering what your opinions are on this? I need some advice....

2. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Surgery is very hard on goats and should be avoided if possible. My opinion - take it for what it's work - is that he would make someone a fantastic pet if the descended testicle was banded and the other left alone. He might have some bucky tendencies though. I had a whether here who had the same issue. But he was really cool and a lot of fun. He had the "mane" that a buck grows, but didn't pee on his legs.beard, didn't ever develop an odor, and otherwise wasn't too bucky. I think he was 9 months old when I sold him...Kat will know for sure he came from her.

If you really really want a show whether, maybe look somewhere else and let this boy go as a pet? Good luck on making your tough decision!

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I definately wouldn't. Sounds like he's going to cost a lot and take up a lot of your time, plus in the end, there's really no way he could ever pay for himself. You can find a quality show wether or prospect for $100.

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Thanks for the HELP!!
    you both have helped me decide...
    IF Im going to get a wether, I would rather have a nice healthy one, and I want to be able to pick one, not find one that needs a lot of work. I dont really have the time for him, and I dont think my goats would be vey nice to him.

THANKS!

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    as nice as a wether could be it's never going to produce anything further, nor contribute his genetics or milk to a herd.. i sell my wethers for like 35 bucks!! with papers!! Dont get me wrong, i had a wether i showed, great fun but here's how i see it

you can feed a wether and get nothing back out of it besides ribbons and love, or feed a doe or buck and get ribbons, milk, babies and love..

7. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I would turn it down. As nice as the deal sounds, it could cause major problems in the future. I am very guilty of loving and spending way too much money of what my friends call a "terminal" animal.

My daughter's very first wether, Tank, had a strange lump on one knee. Before we took him to our county fair, I had my vet draw fluid from it and send it to MSU for testing. It was anything other then "water" of his knee. I spent about $200 in medical on this goat, only to see him "forced" through the auction (big drama, but this caused changes in the 4H real fast) for $100. My daughter's next wether for the State Fair had about $100 invested in medical because when he was "banded" only one testicle was banded, the other popped back up. We didn't know this until about a week before the State Fair. I got the call from my friend saying something was wrong with Tiny Tim - she thought his intestines had popped out. Took him to the vet, the vet "crimped" it, saying it will fall off when "dried" and was surprised when the testicle fell right then to the ground leaving a big gapping hole. We were instructed to put an ointment in the hole. This was when we were leaving the goats at a friend's house in exchange for the kids doing the chores and buying feed for almost all of the goats there. Well, friend's son didn't put the ointment on 2 a day, got to the State Fair, Tiny Tim was sick and stressed from the trip and my daughter couldn't even show him. He did live, and got better over the time being there, only to be taken back with the rest of the goats and I assumed killed and sold for meat.

We had our wethers last year on our own property. Surprisingly, things went pretty well, until our beloved "Fat Tony" fell through a dog house roof and cut himself near his "nipples". Fortunately, the vet and his office had gotten such a kick out of our goat stories and visits that this trip only cost around $45 for staples and removals. I won't forget people's faces when we walked in with Fat Tony on a leash!! He was such a good goat! He did manage to make it to the State Fair, taking Reserve Grand!!

Take it from me - don't get a goat that could cost you so much in the end. You need to "estimate" the cost of the surgery, the aftercare, and feed costs and then estimate how much money you might be able to get at shows/fairs. Right now, you aren't "attached" to this goat emotionally, so back away now. It's different when they are "your" goats, you want to make sure they are healthy and if you have emergency vet bills, you can accept them because you love your animal. With something like this and no attachments formed yet, skip it.

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    patti, i could understand if it ws a boer wether, but this is aminiature dairy wether, can't sell them at fairs so at most she'd win premium money and have him forever..

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I have to disagree with you here - I have a boy who was surgically castrated at 12 wks due to an undescended testicle - he is my pet. And I need to clear up a few inaccuracies.

1) Surgery did not faze this boy - nor has it ever given any of my other goats a problem - I've had many put under completely for various procedures.

2) A wether with one undescended testicle should NEVER be sold as a pet with a band on the other. For two reasons. First and foremost, retained testicles tend to turn cancerous as the animal ages - in my mind that is not fair to the people who bought a pet wether to love for 10 - 15 yrs, only to have him have significant health issues at 4 or 5 yrs. And the other reason is that many people who start off with a pet wether, end up getting does to breed goats later on. the pet wether ends up in with the girls - and a small number of those retained testicles can actually be fertile, leading to unexpected and possibly harmful pregnancies.

Just my 2c