So, I milked a goat today!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Di, May 6, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, Cocoa's little boy (Joey) went to his new home last evening, (along with one of Izzy's boys). This morning she was wandering aimlessly around with nothing to do, looking pretty full. So, I decided to milk her. She'd never been milked before as she is a ff. Well, she enjoyed the grain on the milk stand...but she didn't really enjoy me messing with her. But, we persisted and she started to settle down. I could tell when she relaxed a little, the milk really started to flow. I was all happy with myself, almost done I thought, boom she knocks the pail off the stand! Boo Hoo! So, I saved enough to lighten my coffee! I'll try again tonight.

So, Cocoa is a sweety, although not my prettiest doe. Here's her udder from this morning before milking. Note: her teats are not positioned perfectly, but she is all hunched up which makes her look worse!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... ig/016.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... ig/015.jpg

I thought I was getting a couple of cups, but I didn't get it measured, of course. Can't wait to do it again!

So, if I decide to keep milking her I'll have to adjust my milkstand (obvioustly the plans I had where for full size goats) lol.

I've milked cows before (in my youth, a looong time ago), so getting those tiny little teats to work was fun, kinda like "Keystone Cops milk a goat"! I could tell which teat Joey likes the best though. So, anyway practice makes perfect I guess. So much for our first attempt.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    She has a pretty little udder!!! Once you get the hang of it, milking is fun :D We are milking about 11 by hand, I"m milking 8 and mom milks 3.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Boy do I remember those FF days!! I was lucky enough to have hubby build me a stand specific to my mini's! Try getting a box made for her to stand on so her head stays in the stanchion, and theres always later today to try and save your milk....milk into a small bowl with one hand and dump it in the pail then go back and do the other side the same way..while HOLDING the bowl...no chance of her kicking the entire bucket full over that way. She'll learn with your persistance :wink:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    DI, I say no matter how anyone else says she looks, as along as she does for you what you need her to do that is what counts.

Congratulations, and I am not a Dairy person but WOW she has a nice looking utter.

Are you going to milk her all the time now?

I had to separate all my babies from mom's last night because they were just to darn old, and now I have all these bags that so could be milked if I was not lazy. I do not think Cashmere milk would be the best but I bet it would be ok for the coffee like you said.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oo I like her udder :D

Aspen was full today (separated kids) but she wouldnt' let her milk down. I barely got a cup :angry: :sigh:

So now Presto has to go on some replacer or cows milk until she lets down her milk for me :veryangry:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey, if you have a way of securing her head...try a warm compress on her udder, it works for me when my girls are being stubborn.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Thank you all for your support.

Lori, I just had to laugh about milking the cashmere goats! All of my does have beautiful udders! But, they'd probably kick the crap out of me if I tried!

So, do goats of different breeds have different tasting milk? I read somewhere that Nubians make more cheese per lb. of milk then Alpines (those were the two breeds they compared).

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    butterfat is different depending on breed But taste is determined more by what they eat then their breed

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The amount of cheese you get per gallon of milk depends upon the protien and butterfat content. Nubians are lower volume producers so their BF and protein is a lot higher than that of an Alpine, which is a high volume producer. I like LaManchas the best, they have high volume with high BF and protein to match it.