So I talked to the local dairy goat breeder

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Dec 17, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well that was an enjoyable experience

He told me that I was too young and inexperienced to be contemplating a small business like this.

He then went on to tell me that it is stupid to go into dairy goats because you can never make any money.

And he said, frankly I would be unsuitable to join his market.

:?

I politely thanked him for his input and walked away

Maybe I will have better luck with the lady who runs the commercial dairy ...

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    sounds to me like someone would be scared of competition....... cause why would he be in it then???

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    Doesn't he sound like a nice guy . . . .poor girl . . . .
    :sigh:
    :hug:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ditto to kelebeks theory.

I had that happen to me at a show this year, she did not make me feel good about my wins at all. totally ruined my day. Told me (in front of a judge) my goat was 'worthless' and should be eaten before he bred anything.

you were right to not argue though.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    You know, I would love to get these goats, breed for a year or two and then come to Canberra show and kick his a--- with my goats (he wins everything, every show)

:angry:

Stupid man

Not exactly encouraging young people into the industry, is he?

Its just, he was downright rude and I dont deal well with confrontation, and it upset me quite a bit. Every other breeder of any animal (I've dealt with pedigree cats, sheep, cattle, horses, goats ...) has always been willing to talk to potential newcomers to the industry. It is difficult to make money in Angoras at the moment but the new breeders who come to me for advice I tell them honestly that the market is down at the moment but there are ways of value adding to increase the price of your product.

:(

I was hoping this guy could be my mentor since he is nice and close but I dont think that is gonna happen. If I do this I think I'm on my own

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks for the hug talitha :)

7. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    What an a--wipe!!
    He is just scared I bet :hug:
    Do it anyway ; ]

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    sounds to me like he doesn't want any competetion..

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    keren....don't let him get to you.....shake it off ...and move into the direction that you want....
    that was pure selfishness on his part.....normally.... goat people... do want more people to become goat herders ...and are very glad to help......you are a very bright and intelligent young lady ...and how dare him to talk to you .....in that manner ...very uncalled for...I agree that he is scared of the competition...but you know what.?..like you said keren....buy some real good goats and "win"... the pants off that mean.... ungrateful person .. :dance: ..put him in his place....you have every right... to have whatever kind of animals you desire.... and never let an idiot ...such as that ....stand in your way.... :hug:

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thank you toth.

I'll admit my first reaction was 'well I guess I'd better forget all about it'

But after a little while I started to pick up again and I'm at the moment looking for some other markets for the milk - 28L each day - thats a lot of milk!

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your very welcome........yes...28L...is alot of milk for sure....good luck to you... :) :thumbup:

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Does this guy live close to you? The fist thing that popped into my mind was that he's worried about competition,,, as Kelebek stated. That's the only reason I can think of that he'd be against you getting into dairy goats. As a breeder, I promote people getting into goats....they are such a fun and enjoyable animal, why not share them with the rest of the world. Heck, even if ya get a little competition from other breeders.

Just ignore that guy, it's very obvious to me that he's insecure about his own herd and worried you might take away his business. Good luck!! :thumbup:

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Everyone is right.. that would make me even more determined to get them and put him in his place; the first year I got into showing pigeons, this girl who always wins every year, told me off saying that my pigeons sucked and they would never win, and they didn't win, but it was my first year. The next year I only brought 6 pigeons, and I got grand champion over about the 20-30 pigeons they brought. I wish I had a camera for when I seen her face! The thing is, her family has over 200 pigeons to choose from, I only have 20.
    You're extremely smart and very resourceful, I bet you could easily show him up :wink:

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    amos.. soo been where you are.. when i showed my first nigerian i was laughed out of the ring.. NOW look where i am

they also said i could never win a show with my tans.. and i won 2 in a month.. and i knew i was gonna win... i know my animals..they don't ..

15. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Amos that's really funny....served her right!!!

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it is so cool that people in my area love it when there are new people showing.

i was talking to Lola's owner about where I got Jitterbug from and she was like 'well maybe if she does well they will start showing in the open shows' :greengrin: thats the right kind of breeder and shower. Always wanting more competition. I was welcomed with open arms it was really cool.

Sorry he was so rude to you though :sigh:

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    you know the stupid part is that he was really nice and helpful to me when I spoke to him a while back, back then I was just planning on having one or two milkers for home use.

:roll: He was all too eager to help then, but now when I might actually be doing it on a larger scale he doesnt want to help.

18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    It may sound bad but I would kind of feel the same way as him. I would never, ever be rude to someone or not help them. But I would definitely be nervous - not about showing or competition in the show ring - but for the market. When there are a lot of breeders in an area, then sales can be more difficult to make. So, I can kind of understand him in that way. . . . but don't get me wrong I would never be rude to someone about that or turn them away if they were asking questions. I've spent countless hours answering people's questions and they've never bought goats from me, so. . . . yeah. I'm done now. :)

19. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Olivia ... thank you for a different perspective on it. But ... he is the ONLY stud breeder of dairy goats within a five or six mile radius. And there is only one other commercial breeder in the same area. So I would think, that there would be space for just one more?

The way the Australian markets for any sort of goat product are ... they are low supply and high demand ... and they are underdeveloped. The way I see it we cant work on expanding the markets until we have more producers ... because the stage we are we cannot satisfy the CURRENT markets. But I feel great things could be done if we can further develop our domestic and export markets, for both milk and meat. So I view any new or potential breeders as a VERY positive thing.

Obviously he doesnt feel the same :)

20. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That makes a lot of sense for your area, then. It's a shame he's being a stinker about it. :sigh:

Our area does not have a whole lot of goats either. . . . they are definitely here, but no over-flooded, yet. Thankfully, Nigerians are still in high-demand. But, it is slowing down some. Which makes me nervous. I'm always on the lookout for better ways to market our Nigerians. I think showing next year will do wonderful things for us. :)

Anyways, thanks for not thinking of me as a bad person. Just thinking logically. . . . .