So, if their tail separates...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Lawanda, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    and looks like a "fish tail".... that means I should give them calf manna???? I believe that is what I am reading....

I noticed a couple of my goaties tails are doing this. they all get free choice minerals, but none of them ever eat them all... My parents have some calf manna, I believe that they are giving their calf, it looks like powdered milk. Is that the right stuff??

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    May be a lack of copper ...is the hair dull and kind of frizzy?

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Calf manna comes in pellet form. Fish tail is usually a sign of copper deficiency.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, Calf Manna is a peachy/orangy colored pellet. I use it mainly for young kids to help keep them growing, i've never heard of it used to treat a copper deficiency. Fish tail is a good sign you are lacking copper so make sure they have the minerals out and you might need to copper bolus them.

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    The copper contint in goat balancer is higher than calf manna. (bought some last night to try) They love it! Even picky, "I won't eat wheat bread, only white bread."
    Murray gave it a hoofs up. :laugh:

Gina

6. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    They always have minerals (unless I run out, but that is like maybe a day every now and then).

Their fur IS frizzy and dull. And tonight three of their tails look like that, separated like a fish tail.

So, obviously what my parents have isn't the right stuff. Should I get the calf manna or the goat balancer? I have never heard of goat balancer. Can I get these at TSC?

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The TSC here carries it Lawanda, yours should too.

8. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    Fish tail is a copper deficiency. A few of the goats I purchased this spring came with fish tails. We've switched to Sweetlix Meat Goat minerals rather than the general pasture minerals from TSC.

9. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Idk, I think we have a pathetic TSC, they don't seem to have half the stuff I read about on here. But I will swing by there tomorrow and look. They are closed now.

10. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ok, I went and they didn't have anything we talked about it in this thread except the calf manna, and it has 15 min, 35 max pph (??) of copper. It says to give goats 1/4 to 1/2 pound per day. How much is that in cups? :p

11. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    With loose minerals you want to give it free choice and let them take what they need. You will not get enough copper into them with just giving loose minerals you need to get Copasure Bolus-12.5 gm from a source like Valley Vet. Here is a good site for info and there are a lot of them..... http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    just bolus them.. you're going to spend as much doing calf manna as buying a jar of copasure.. and the copasure will last longer.. i bolus my goats every summer, and i've never had an issue...