So I'm a little confused about heat cycles/estrus Any help?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by goinggoaty, May 25, 2010.

1. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    So I've been reading all I can find I have a Nubian doe who was supposed to have been bred in March and some people are saying she couldn't have been bred because she wasn't in season and others that Nubians can be in season longer than other breeds or all year long. So I bought this doe bred having been with a buck for 2 cycles, she hasn't come into heat again and well I'm stumped :shrug: She has gained weight but that could just be because I'm feeding her better groceries, she'd be a first timer and well lets be honest I'm a first time goat person so I'm just curious if maybe I've been taken for a ride and sold a doe who couldn't have been bred, or if she could actually be bred and due in August :pray: Any info would be greatly appreciated Oh and what does an utter feel like when its just starting out because (I might be imagining it) I think there has been a slight change in her udder area it seems the skin is looser from her belly and the teats more elongated? Well anyhow Thanks for any help you can offer it'd just be nice not to be expecting kids if there isn't a chance there are any.
    Anika

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Re: So I'm a little confused about heat cycles/estrus Any he

Hi Anika! I live not so far from you, between Belen and Los Lunas.

I think in some climates nubians can come into season all year. But not so often here. On the other hand March isn't summer. If you have a vet you could get an ultrasound to see if she's pregnant. On the other hand, if she isn't you will know in time to breed her in the fall, you might want to start checking out people with bucks you could breed her to.

Is she a yearling?

If you find you are going to be breeding her in the fall, think about her due date when you do it, so they aren't born in bitter cold weather, unless you have a really well done barn arrangement for them. I had my first kids in a shed in the middle of the night in a January cold, it was 15 degrees, I will never do that again. At least not until my barn with it's heatable room is built. I really thought they would be dead in the morning. They weren't, but it was just too cold for babies. Or for me, anyway. Those two kids were tough as nails and healthy.

If you can take the right kind of pictures and post them here there are people on this forum who might be able to give you a good prediction about whether she is pregnant or not. They call something a "pooch test", and it has to do with the way the vulva looks, I haven't quite figured it out.

My nubian had a false pregnancy this year, I was very disappointed. But I had kids from four kinders.

Jan

3. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico

Thanks Jan, The lady was breeding Nubians so I'm hoping she wasn't just trying to make a sale and she actually did breed her.
    She by her teeth would be two going on three years old.
    So if she were going to go into heat it probably wouldn't happen for another couple months then right? So I really have to get some good pics and hope that someone who knows what a pregger pooch looks like can tell me what they think, cause me I look and its like 'Yup that a goats Pooch' So essentially I know she has one but it isn't telling me it's story.
    Sorry About the false pregnancy that has to be a let down but congrats on the other kids, hopefully I'll see some too
    Anika

4. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio

My nubian doe came into heat end of June last year and kid late Nov with twin bucklings so there is an exception to it all.IDK it is possible is all I'm sayen :) Love your name by the way.My daughters is spelled Annika but pronounced Ah-ni-ka. Not to comen of a name :)

5. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico

Thanks JessaLynn My name is actually pronounced Ann-i-ka it was supposed to have two 'n' in it but they used to have the dad's go fill out the birth certificates stuff and being my dad's first and only he got a little razzled.
    Well that gives me hope that there is a possibility she may be bred. Thanks

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Sometimes goats can fool ya....she may be preggo....but as mentioned .....the best way to know is ....to get an ultra sound done on her..... then you will know for sure.....and take the guess work out of it... :greengrin:

As for what to look for in the udder....usually if not preggo...a young does udder will be tight up to her belly...you really can't tell yet ..with her teats...if she gets preggo....for the 1st time...her udder around the last month or month and a 1/2 ....will begin to fill....you will not be able to see it ...but... will be able to feel it....it will feel like a small pouch beggining... it will kinda cup in your hand.....as time goes by.. you will then start to actually see it forming.... :wink: :greengrin:

7. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM

I have a Nubian as well and given the weird weather we've been having in New Mexio, I was pretty sure she went in to heat in April. I haven't seen any signs of it since, but I have heard mixed things about Nubian heats as well.

If you do want to have a vet come look at her, I know a great one who specializes in goats and is mobile. She will make the drive to Edgewood (she's located in Eldorado outside of Santa Fe) but I don't know what the charge is, only that she works with some of the dairies out your way.

As the other poster said, March isn't outside of the realm of possibility for breeding in either case.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get her? I'm looking to breed my girl this fall and am hoping to find a good Nubian buck. :D

8. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico

So essentially I should just suffer the wait since if she is bred well Yay! I have babies if not she'd be due around the normal breeding season anyhow so if no kids come I can look into breeding her later this year. I really appreciate the help and suggestions. I just think my husband would lose his mind if I told him i was taking my goat to get an ultrasound, he already thinks i'm batty :roll: that's life though right? Thanks again for the help
    Anika

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

You can have her blood tested to check for pregnancy...Biotracking will do a pregnancy test and it's much cheaper than an ultrasound.

www.biotracking.com