so.. i'm harboring fugitives in my closet.

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by SDK, Dec 10, 2009.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yes, you read right.. fugitives!! in my closet..

okay.. so they aren't really fugitives, more of new furry pets that my dad doesn't want in the house/ a christmas present for my sister.

so my guinea pig has gotten really agressive towards me.. and i referred to one of my piggy breeder friends.. he said its a dominance issue and he needs to live with another older/bigger boar. well.. i can't afford to get a bigger cage for that let alone buy another guinea pig. so i'm working on finding him a home.. have one lady looking for another boar.. may work out well.

anyway. i was sitting on the couch working on school stuff.. when i started to think that i should get my younger sister megan a hampster for christmas, since she's been dying for one for years.. but our dad wouldn't let her even though she had the money. sooo i collaborated with mom and sister and we made a random " out of sheer boredom" trip to petco yesterday to just wander and waster some time.. once we hit the small animal stuff i was like.. ohhh i wish i could get a mouse. look at all this cute stuff, to which she would retort that it was stupid and that if SHE was getting a hampster she'd get THIS stuff :wink: .. so after learning al her cage and toy choices covertly.. they came in with their new shipment of hamsters and mice... and she fell in LOVE with this one type called a Djungarian hamster. they're a dwarf hampter that come in a really weird smoky white color. score! lol i knew what type she wanted. at least

and then we were looking at the new mice.. and oMG i fell in love.. this tiny little male mouse in a merle pattern.. and he was sooo cute and came up to the glass and everything. i was like.. i HAVE to get him

so i did.. today while my sister was in school. :greengrin: lol along with her cage and desired hamster :greengrin: well i have the hamster ( since dwarfs aren't territorial) in with my little mousey in his cage and we're going to wait until christmas to give her her cage and stuff. hopefully she doesn't snoop in my closet and find him :( even if she does she wont know about the other really cool stuff. the cage we got her is awesome.. its teal and green and white and its called an Ovo?? pretty neat.

well i'll try and get some pictures of my furry fugitives soon.. but they are really cute.

ps.. named my little mousey, kipper the cuteness , or kipper for short lol

2. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Haha! That's great! I am a sucker for hampsters! I haven't had one in years and my mom keeps saying no. :( So you're lucky! :) Congrats!!

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Awww...that's exciting! We used to have little hamsters and they were so fun when I was little. I think I know the kind you're talking about...they are very neat looking! They stood out the last time I was at Petco. That little mouse sounds cute too! I didn't know they could look like that! Neat! Congrats on the new additions! I bet your sister will love the little one!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww...that is so neat.... I like the title you choose ...that is too funny.... :wink: :greengrin:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That was so sweet of you! I'm sure your sis will be very happy.....and I hope your dad doesn't get too grumpy about the "fugitives"

I had mice when I was younger...even raised one from lima bean size, he lived to be almost 3 years old.

6. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    ooo haha, i love mice. i had some for a few years and bred them.

i wish we had hamsters here, they're so so cuuuute.

hope you dad doesn't get too cranky about it though hehe

7. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Sounds great! :thumbup:

I do have to comment though, I don't know who told you that hamsters aren't territorial, but in my extensive rodent experience, I've found that hamsters can and will eat their cage mates more often than not, despite the breed. They have always been the most aggressive of any rodents I've kept and bred.

I would recommend you separate them. Better safe than sorry, right? :)

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    these were the only hamsters caged with eachother.. and they were all very happy.. these two are only together for 15 days... they should be okay.. but if something pop's up i'll just have to ruin the surprise i guess..

i dislike hamsters actually... hated all but one of the ones we had as young kids.. they bite alot.. but i read up on mice and they're known to be really social and friendly.. so that with the smaller size is a bonus for me.. smaller cage means he can travel with me, instead of staying in the care of family.

this hamster is actually pretty cute i have to admit.. he's a ham.

my dad almost found them.. he barged in my room with the baby ( my niece) because i have the guinea pig in here as well as my mommy rabbit and her 2 day old litter.. the crazy guy wanted me to let the 18 month baby hold one of my 2 day old rabbit babies.. then he heard the wheel of the mouse cage... he was like what's that? i was like.. ummm... lima is chewing on his house... "but it sounds like its coming from your closet".... but lima is right next to the closet..
    " oh..."

then they squeaked " what's that noise?".. lima " but isnt it too high pitched ?" no, he's fat and still a baby, it should be high pitched... "oh.."

that along with me talking louder than normal kept it a secret. which was good since my sister was in the hallway o_O

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ok.. so i got the pictures off my phone to show you kipper the cuteness and the hamster... well one of the tankmates of the hamster... the one i got her has a darker mask/dorsal

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I agree with this...please use caution. I worked in a pet store for about 4 years and saw some rather horrific acts done by hamsters. Younger hamsters are not as bad as adults but most hamsters prefer to have their own cage. They might seem fine together one day and then the next day you discover a dead, ripped-apart critter...I saw it happen many times. I would get them into separate cages ASAP.