So, I've had an attack of conscious...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Dreamchaser, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    As a lot of you know, I've recently gotten an alpine buckling. Cute, wonderful, know that's all going to change when hormones catch up with him.

However, I think I underestimated the whole buck thing after veiwing this webpage, and the photos on it... http://fiascofarm.com/goats/buck-wether-info.htm

Umm... I may have a problem. I do live in a neighborhood, though everyone at least has 2 acres if not more of land. I figured, as long as I trim him up, give him baths, I might be able to manage the smell. I knew that they peed on themselves, but I did not realize the whole "encrusted" thing. I had horses that peed on themeselves, and they would stink very bad, so I would bathe them. In my ignorance, I figured goats are smaller and, well. You get my drift.

So... I am wondering what I may have gotten myself into.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WELLLLLLL, I hate to tell you but after I would say a year or maybe two that is when they are the worst. The first year is not so bad here. Don't get me wrong, I would not want to rub on them and go to work. :slapfloor:

When I go in my buck barn after I have them locked in a few days becasue of the snow storms, it smell so bad that even if I go in and not touch anything, I still stink like a buck.

I know people do wash them, but remember the worst time of the year is going to be in the winter. It all depends on your neighbors. I am on 5 acres and we are all on 5 acres here, and my neighbors tell me a lot how bad they stink. I tell them I will stop them from stinking when they shut their darn dogs up.

Try it out for a year maybe tow and see what happens. :shrug:

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    And do they really pee on you too? I had NO idea about that part. Gosh, I think I am in for a rude awakening. :( I had rams, and they smell musky during rut, and they are VERY aggressive, and will downright attack you. I figured it would be a bit about the same, though more muskiness, but my rams never peed on me!

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    The buck I had here this winter never intentionally tried to pee on me but if I wasn't paying attention I'd get a squirt on me every once in a while. I don't really think the smell is really that bad. Maybe I'm more tolerant because I know that all animals have their own "stink". We live on 7 acres with my parents and they didn't even know we had the buck here for the first 2 weeks. Our houses are about 400 feet apart and they could never smell him unless they came to our house.

5. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Hmmm, Maybe it's different with the larger breeds. We have Nigerians, and we were actually pleasantly surprised with our bucks. We had read all of the information you quote, too - the stuff about the peeing, the stink that permeates everything (including your clothes, your house, etc). We just haven't found that to be he case with our two. Now, we do only have two, and they are little. Maybe it would be different if we had a lot of really big boys in our boys' barn. But our bucks are only about 40 yards from our house and we've had lots of friends visit who don't realize the boys are there until we take them out to show them the barn. Our nearest neighbor is my parents, and they live 100 yards away. Dad's a retired vet, and he knows that "bucky" smell; but even he said that he only smells the boys when they're in the height of their rut each year. And he's never complained about it, just remarked on how surprised he was that he couldn't smell them. We don't close them up in the barn, even in the winter. Sometimes, especially this past winter, they choose to stay in the barn for a large part of the day. (It was a REALLY harsh winter this year). When that happens, we just make sure to clean out their bedding REALLY, REALLY frequently. (like two to three times per week). We'll do a complete sweep of the old stuff and put all new stuff in. We use pine shavings, so it's not that expensive, and it smells good. That's what has worked for us. Are we just lucky, or is it a size and numbers difference? I don't know.
    -Tina

6. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I own 3 full size bucks (2 lamanchas & 1 saanen) who are in a run that is probably not even 20 feet from my closest neighbor and they have never complained about them. Mine just really don't smell real badly. I know people who I walk on their place and the buckiness knocks you out, but mine really don't stink until you get right up near them. They do pee on themselves quite a bit, and can get urine scold from it, but mine really aren't as bad as some say :shrug: I could just be lucky I guess?!

7. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    From my limited experience it seems that some bucks are just a lot more fragrant than others, so i wouldn't worry until you see how stenchy he is going to be when in rut. The buck my friend's mom had when i was a kid could make your eyes water from a half mile away. ALL YEAR AROUND. And in the summer, when it was hot out... HOOOOO BOY!!!!! Talk about smelling RIPE!!!

Now when I went to meet the lady i ended up buying my goats from she had her goats out and her hairy old Kiko buck was chilling with the other goats in the yard and he had almost no odor at all... this was in february... she said he doesn't get much smellier than that, but that her old buck that she lost last winter was a real stinker.

To be honest, when people start talking about getting goats i really lay on the whole "bucks STINK and do offensive and gross things!!" stuff... because the folks i am talking to generally have no business having a buck and the buck, even a fairly pleasant smelling and gentle one, would end up suffering because of it. Kind of like when people ask about my breed of dog and i stress how they are not for everyone and need sun screen and a coat in the winter and blah blah blah. I kind of want them afraid to just run out and get one without thinking long and hard about it so i give them worst case scenario to help weed out anyone who might be a bit likely to jump the gun and get into something they can't handle.

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yep. And people have told me, oh don't get a buck, your neighbors will hate you, they smell. I can say that some of the neighbors horses smell really bad because they don't maintain them. I will see how he does. The buckling I bought may not stay a buck for long anyway. I realized that he has crooked front legs. :( If he throws that quality, I will wether him.

9. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I decided not to get my own buck, b/c i heard horrible things about them. I borrowed a buck, and he was a little stinky (compared to my girls) and I forgot about the peeing on his face thing (must have blocked it out mentally) until he reminded me.............and then i told the kids they may not want to pet his face :) but he hasn't been that bad, esp lately since i 'think' they are all bred, so he hasn't been in overdrive, but he is a real sweety. Very friendly, a little pushy sometimes if he thinks he is being ignored, but even at the height of his 'buckiness' his odor wasn't all that bad, i just cleaned the pen more often, and it wasn't an issue.

He is a ND, so that may explain why he isn't so bad, and since the girls came into heat right away, were all bred, and I think they took, that might be why - once he stopped peeing on himself, the odor disappeared.

I still like the 'borrow a buck' idea. And if he throws beautiful babies, i hope to keep borrowing him, b/c he is nice, and i seem to be breeding on a different cycle than his owner. She said she didn't really need him until the fall, and is just charging me for covering the does, since i am taking care of all his food.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have never had a buck pee on me like bheila said unless you are in the way.

As of a aggressive buck, I have had one that was so aggressive, that I did sell him. BUT it was my fault because as a baby we played a little rough with him, you know making him rear up and "play". I have gone to peoples house were you can not even get close to the fence not even in rut, or they would charge the fence, or others where we would get my doe out and someone else had to try to get the bucks attention or he would take you down. But my bucks, I can go in the stall, with the buck and the does and my boys just look at me like "You are taking my girls away".

I do believe it is all how they are raised, and how they are treated. Make sure he knows YOU are the boss, and do not let him ever try to be mean, if you let him try to get you just once, you will be in trouble. Set it straight that YOU are the boss.

I am use to the smell, and it really does not bother me "until they are looked in the barn fro a few days, you know all the buck testosterone in one place. Other wise if they are out side, it is just wow the boys are in rut. :cool:

11. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Sory for butting (HA) in our your post, but I have a question.

I plan on breeding my doe this winter and the guy who has the buck will bring him over when she comes into heat. I would like to know if my place is going to smell to high heaven after he leaves. I hope to only have him there until I am sure she is bred. My goat house will be made out of straw for this winter...will he spray all over that and leave his smell on the straw all winter? We do get snow and below 0 weather..will that help disperse the smell?

And what can I do with my LGD during this time? If she is in with the goats I definietly do NOT want her sprayed! She has to be out there for protection.