So much for medicated feed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mnspinner, May 1, 2009.

1. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    After a terrible cocci outbreak last year I decided to try a grain with a coccidiostat. I've got 4 kid cocci cases so far.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry :hug:
    The problem with the medicated feed is that the kids don't eat enough of it, sorry you are going through this again.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Do you treat with anything other than the medicated feed? We've used Di-Methox with great success - sorry it's being a problem for you this year. . .

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Liz is totally right.... :wink: :greengrin:

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Untill the kids are old enough to eat enough of the medicated feed you still need to use some kind of prevention. Also make sure how much feed is required to get the medicated dose. Some will require 3 lb of feed while other 1 lb per 100 lb animal so read the tags carefully.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yup, they may have picked up the over load of cocci well before the medicated feed. If you are bottle feeding them you can put some sulmet in their milk.
    beth

7. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    So far managed to contain the cases with Sulmet. I didn't even think to read the bag for dosage. You're probably right - they haven't eaten enough or long enough to get a good prevention dose into them.
    Another rainy spring of course hasn't helped. But at this point, not nearly as bad as last year.

8. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yep it is so wet here I am even putting sulmet in the chickens water right now. Cocci is a pain to deal with.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Definatly a pain. Living in western washington we get our fair share of rain every year. I even treat my adult animals a couple of times a year. Usually april and june.
    beth

10. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
  11. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    I agree...I can never dose the kids accurately enough with the medicated feed. Some nibble and others are hogs.

I just finished using Corid this year. Last year I did Sulmet and then when I used it end of season last year it didn't work as well so I switched to Corid which didn't use to work for me. I hate this wet weather, and they say more is on the way the rest of this week. I just finished up dosing my babies. I only had 2 break with it but we treated everyone and now they are all back to pellets...thank goodness! But everyone did really well this go round. Didn't hate me by the time I finished. Usually by day 4 I'm having to chase them around.