So nervous about my pregnant doe - Due March 20

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FMW, Jan 23, 2021.

1. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    I have a doe who is due March 20 who is walking more stiffly than the other doe who is pregnant and due April 15. She is very cautious walking in the snow and doesn't seem as limber. She walks much more slowly than the other one. The vet saw three or more kids in the ultrasound around 46 or 47 days pregnant. All moving around. He questioned that she may have more. She was one of five and last spring she had kidded four kids.

We did trim her hooves two days ago in hopes that would help. The vet suggested to soak each hoof in warm water and epsom salt. We did that for one minute each hoof as suggested. This happened two days ago, the day of the hoof trimming. She still is walking slowly and awkwardly. I am bringing another doe in for an ultrasound check the first week in February. The vet suggested I bring her in, the one who is pregnant and walking slowly, and check things out if she hasn't improved after the hoof trimming and soaking. I'm really worried! I had lost a pregnant LaMancha last year and she died three weeks before her due date. She was walking slowly and awkwardly and then developed a cough. :(

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    We just noticed that there may be external mites on the backs of her rear legs. There is some white patches with less hair in those areas. She had this before a few months ago and it went away with some application of something, that I can't remember. I wonder if this may be the problem. I just want her to stay as healthy and possible.

3. maplebrooknigerian

maplebrooknigerian New Member

Jan 23, 2021
    NE
  4. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Yes, she has had copper, just before getting bred.

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Run a ketone test. You can buy the strips at the drugstore or Walmart. Try and catch her as she pees- just stick one of they ketone strips in the stream.

6. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Will do this!

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Yes check ketones and keep her walking as much as possible. I like to use NuStock on external mites - every three days apply liberally.

8. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    She is a little over three months pregnant - I just ordered it. Thanks!

9. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Can a pregnant Nubian doe behave like this about two months before she's due if she is pregnant with three or more kids? We definitely have been forcing her to walk more, at least since last week. We put the chaffhaye in a structure outside away from the barn. They have their hay, minerals, and water in the barn, but they have to walk about 150 feet to get their chaff. We will walk them around the pasture field to give them more exercise.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  10. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    you may not have a case of ketonesis it may be pregnancy disease they are two different problems.The treatment for them are polar opposite. With a Ketone problem you exercise the doe and feed more grain, with Pregnancy disease you confine the doe and feet high energy feed.
    I question a ketone problem because most ketone cases show up the last 30 days of pregnancy.
    what is her body condition? to help us feel her rib cage. a body condition 1 is a walking skeleton. a body condition 5 is fat no ribs felt.
    what is the does age?
    Is she getting to the hay feeder or is she getting pushed aside?
    It could be selenium deficiency. a dose of BoCe could be in order.
    or my preferred method selenium past one inch on your finger twice a day for at least 4 days or till the symptoms go away.

there are many things this could be. calcium deficiency or arthrius
    what is her temp?
    we need more information

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  11. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I'm not sure what you mean by "pregnancy disease"? Perhaps milk fever? Please explain further. If this doe was fat at breeding, and also is fat now, and carrying multiple kids, that can certainly have a lot to do with it?

12. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    The difference is Ketosis is a fat doe burning fat to fulfill the energy requirements that her kids are needing. ketones are in the blood and to many causes the doe to collapse. Often there is no warning you come out in the morning and the doe is down. treatment is make sure the doe exercises to burn off the ketones.

Pregnancy disease or pregnancy toxemia is a skinny doe not able to eat enough to fulfill the needs of the kids but there is no reserve no fat so the doe starts to eat away at her mussels. there is a slow decline in the doe ability to move and to hold her own at the feed trough. by isolating the doe so she isn't fighting for feed and preventing the doe from exercising helps get through the last weeks.

13. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Do you mean Pregnancy Toxemia?

14. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I am a sorry the corect term is pregnancy toxemia. Not pregnancy disease
    I will try to go back and edit my post
    On review of the posts I realized I couldn't edit my post without making others look Bad. So the edits I made just make me look like a goof

toth boer goats and MellonFriend like this.
  15. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    No problem - it happens to all of us! Just wanted to get the right term to help the OP

16. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    When she saw the doctor for her ultrasound he said she had a body condition of a 3 (the other doe we have is a 3.5). She is 4 years old in March or April. She eats well - a couple of weeks ago we introduced a new hay to the does (3) that they love. It smells really sweet and I believe it's mostly alfalfa. It seems to be pretty high quality. All three does now reject the other second cutting mixed grass and alfalfa hay, which by the way they loved. We then purchased two other second cutting hays that the bucks love, but the does completely prefer this new sweet alfalfa hay.

Here is some of their management:
    They get top dressing Trucare livestock minerals on the their chaffhayeAmazon.com: TruCare 4 Top-Dress Trace Mineral Blend for Livestock: Beef Cattle, Dairy Cattle, Deer, Elk, Goats (Zinc, Manganese, Copper, Cobalt): Pet Supplies
    I don't use their recommended amount of 1/2 scoop, they get about 1/4 scoop each goat about 4-5 times a week.

They have free choice Redmond Goat Mineral Amazon.com: REDMOND Goat Mineral Supplement Mix, Unrefined Salt (5 LB): Health & Personal Care

They also have free choice New Country Organics Healthy Minerals for Goats (newcountryorganics.com) THey do love this stuff. The company says they have about 25 ppm of selenium in their product

They also get weekly selenium/vitamin E gel and weekly probiotic gel.

They have free choice kelp mixed with Land of Havilah GI tract. They love this.

They get Land of Havilah worm balls (parasite formula with slippery elm, garlic, p. butter, molasses, essential oils - orange, oregano, lemon, lemongrass, thyme) twice a week on Sunday and Monday.

They also have had copper boluses

I did notice some scabbing around her pasterns and just ordered and received NuStock. We will be putting that on her tomorrow. I do wonder if her issues with walking is related to these scabs/external parasites, or maybe our bad job trimming her hooves. We struggle with doing a good job and wonder if it's a little wobbly underneath. It isn't cut straight from toe to heel. We are nervous there is tissue/blood supply on the heel and so the heel is slightly raised compared to the rest of the hoof.

17. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    We walked her quite a bit today. She just walks cautiously compared to the other two does. I don't know why though. I have a vet appt for the third doe in 1.5 weeks and will bring her in to have her checked out by the vet. I also want him to look at her hooves and maybe show me a better way to take care of them. At least this is what I'm really hoping is the problem, but I don't know!

18. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

If you just trim the heel level with the hoof wall, you shouldn't hit any blood. ;) The only times I've caused bleeding when hoof trimming was at the tip of the toe.

Your diet sounds very good to me. Selenium weekly might be a bit much actually. Wait and see what others say though. Also, I don't see any reason to give probiotic weekly, but that doesn't have anything to do with your original question.

NigerianNewbie likes this.
  19. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    With all the loose mineral they have you do not need to topdress with mineral too. Loose mineral allows them to choose when and how much they need. They will self regulate just fine on their own. Sometimes you will think the mineral will never go away while others you cannt keep the bucket filled. And either way is ok.

NigerianNewbie likes this.
  20. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    It's hard to tell what the hoof wall is because it's so rounded at the heel. It's also hard to use those hand trimmers, my hand is not strong enough and kind of small that I need both hands to squeeze the handles. I wonder if I should get new trimmers. So it's hard to get to the blood supply at the heel?