So nervous about my pregnant doe - Due March 20

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FMW, Jan 23, 2021.

1. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    So should the heel be level with the toe? I watched a few videos and some people leave the heel higher than the toe, and others have a paper flat surface.

2. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Our doe's heel is definitely not flat down to the toe area.
    Do you think it's possible this is the reason why she's cautious when walking?

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I doubt that it would be the reason for her walking strange, unless it is severe. Any way you could get a picture of the bottom of her hooves? The whole of the bottom of their foot should be level. I have a doe whose heel kind of starts to grow like high heel when it starts to get too long. I can just cut that whole section off level with the rest of the foot and I've never gotten any blood. If you are concerned about it just go slow. Trim a little off, trim a little more. If you start seeing pink under the flesh, stop trimming. As I said I've never caused any bleeding while trimming the heel. As long as you are trimming it level with the rest of the hoof I can't imagine causing any bleeding.

You may want to get a different trimmer if you are having trouble. You may need one with a longer handle if you feel like your hands aren't large enough to get good leverage. I find hoof trimming a bit tricky with a trimmer alone. What I do is use one of those orange handled trimmers to get close to the shape I want and then finish with a rasp. I have just a metal file that I found in our hardware collection that works really well. A rasp like they sell for horses I think would be really unwieldy and hard to control, so you need something smaller. I am thinking about getting one of these as myself as my file is getting little blunt. I saw someone on youtube using one like this to help with hoof trimming.https://www.staples.com/Stanley-Sur...Jl4bOcDHyS0mKdUj3YKtdgVrhG6fGlvhoCmEwQAvD_BwE

4. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    I brought her to the vet and he cleaned up and trimmed her hooves. There was a sore on one of the hooves, and noticed a little bit of hoof rot too. He suggested to soak in epsom salt for one minute; do this for each hoof. She is walking significantly better and even running, which she was doing even before we saw the vet. I think the sore with all the new snow made it hard for her to walk. Overall, she is doing much better. Eating well and walking like the others.

We also brought with us another doe to the visit and we found out she's pregnant! The vet could see one, but said there could be another one. I'm so excited! We will be milking three does, which is great for us. We pretty much drink or cook with all the milk and may have some left over for yogurt and cheese.