The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So if you seen my post were I got 3 ND/Pygmy baby goats you know I've only had them for 8 days. When we got them home one of the bucks temp was 104.9. On the morning of 4/23/2021 his temp was 103.9. The night of 4/23/2021 I gave him a Vit-B shot & some drench. On 4/24/2021 his temp was 103.1. Now he is fine but the other buck is acting off. This morning I went to feed them their bottles and he ate but didn't look like he wanted it. He has mushy poop but not too bad. His temp was 103.9. I just went out to feed them again and he didn't want anything at all. He wouldn't even stand up. He has a big belly and I thing he may have some blot or cocci. he is the kinda right age for cocci. He was born 4/4/2021. Please help i dont know what to do. I will have a fecal done on Monday when the vet is open again.

Tonight I just went back out to check on them and take everyone's temp and give him some medicine. Mr King. (The buck who had a temp when we first got him but is fine now) his temp tonight is 101.1. Daisy the doe who has had no problems at all has runny diarrhea but is acting fine. Her temp was 102.1 (I gave her some Spectogard). Tomy still didn't want to get up so I got him in my lap to guve some meds I gave baking soda water. Little by little because it would run out of his mouth. I gave him some spectogard & electrolytes. I kinda think its something they ate but maybe it is cocci

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This has never happened before and I'm pulling my hair out over here trying to find something out....the more I think about it i think i know something that could have cased it. The day before yesterday my sister was trimming leams off a tree it was a oak tree. I gave them a branch and they liked it. So I gave them more. I don't know hiw it would have hurt them because the branches are only like a foot long. Plus i have a BIG oak in the goat pen and they have ate the leaves before and have been fine! Ive only gave them 5-6 branches. Even if that was not the case I will NOT give any of my goats oak branches anymore at ALL

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also 8 days ago when we got them I started all of them on a bottle. I am feeding them cows milk only 3 times a day because they are already eating a good bit on their own. I think if it were the milk it would have already effected them? I'm really kinda leaning towards the branches I fed them although. The place they were before we got them was a small pasture with no grass. Just bushes and branch's of random plants. He fed them whole corn...no minerals no nothing other then hay.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Do you have a coccidia med you can give them? In my opinion, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and do it. Fecals are a great idea, but if a goat is sick, I wouldn't wait around to get a fecal done.
I'm sure others will chime in, too!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a coccidia med you can give them? In my opinion, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and do it. Fecals are a great idea, but if a goat is sick, I wouldn't wait around to get a fecal done.
I'm sure others will chime in, too!
I don't have anything for cocci. I have corid for chickens but not for goats....

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm not sure if you can use poultry Corid for goats or not...hopefully someone else will have answers for you. In the meantime, I would give this:
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Slippery elm
Cinnamon
ACV and
Molasses all in enough water to drench.
I have given this in a bottle before, and it worked nicely. Just omit the ACV, or it will curdle the milk, and no need to add water if you're putting it in the milk.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure if you can use poultry Corid for goats or not...hopefully someone else will have answers for you. In the meantime, I would give this:
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Slippery elm
Cinnamon
ACV and
Molasses all in enough water to drench.
I have given this in a bottle before, and it worked nicely. Just omit the ACV, or it will curdle the milk, and no need to add water if you're putting it in the milk.
He won't even take a bottle....

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You can drench him with that. If he's not eating, he needs help quickly. I would give him a full dose of that recipe tonight, if you can. You may have to split it up into smaller doses to get it down him. Then drench him with a half recipe every 2-3 hours tomorrow. If he really hates it, try it without the ACV. My goats act like they're dying when I put ACV in a drench.
What is his temperature now?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can drench him with that. If he's not eating, he needs help quickly. I would give him a full dose of that recipe tonight, if you can. You may have to split it up into smaller doses to get it down him. Then drench him with a half recipe every 2-3 hours tomorrow. If he really hates it, try it without the ACV. My goats act like they're dying when I put ACV in a drench.
What is his temperature now?
He has ate 2 bottles today plus whatever he wanted of grass hay water. But i went out before dark and he didn't want the bottle. Ive been feeding about a cup each and I was about to start slowly giving them a little more at a time. He weighs about 8-10 pounds. When I checked on him about a hour or two ago his temp was 102.1

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im heading out right now to check one last time on him. I dont have all those things you said. Maybe tomorrow if he still acts like this we will run to the store and get what we need to help him. Thanks for all the advice!😊
Also, do you know what he weighs? How much have you been feeding him?
Just trying to think through all the possibilities here...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, do you know what he weighs? How much have you been feeding him?
Just trying to think through all the possibilities here...
I just checked on him. The 3 of them were asleep but I felt I needed to check his temp one last time tonight. His temp was 102.0 so better then before. He actually acted more alert. And talkative!
Here he is. I will take him less then half a cup of milk to see if he wants it if he doesn't I will leave them alone till morning.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You don't have to have all the ingredients...you can just use whatever you've got.
I'm glad he doesn't have a fever!
A cup of milk is about 8 oz., right? And he's getting that much 3x a day? You might try cutting his milk back just a tad. I think the general consensus on here is to feed 10 - 12% of their body weight in ounces, per day. If he is 8 lbs., that would be 3-4 oz. of milk 3x a day. Though I am giving my bottle kids more than that, and they are doing well. I cannot claim to be experienced in that area, though. I'm sure you already know this, but you want the bottles warmed to about 101-102 degrees before you feed, especially if the kids are already having digestive issues. Daily probiotics would be a great idea, if possible!
I hope he feels lots better tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I just checked on him. The 3 of them were asleep but I felt I needed to check his temp one last time tonight. His temp was 102.0 so better then before. He actually acted more alert. And talkative!
Here he is. I will take him less then half a cup of milk to see if he wants it if he doesn't I will leave them alone till morning.
View attachment 207728
Aww! He looks so cute and cozy! I'm sure he appreciates all the care you're giving him.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You don't have to have all the ingredients...you can just use whatever you've got.
A cup of milk is about 8 oz., right? And he's getting that much 3x a day? You might try cutting his milk back just a tad. I think the general consensus on here is to feed 10 - 12% of their body weight in ounces, per day. If he is 8 lbs., that would be 3-4 oz. of milk 3x a day. Though I am giving my bottle kids more than that, and they are doing well. I cannot claim to be experienced in that area, though. I'm sure you already know this, but you want the bottles warmed to about 101-102 degrees before you feed, especially if the kids are already having digestive issues. Daily probiotics would be a great idea, if possible!
Ok that's great to know! And he is 9 & a half pounds I just said 8-10 because i wasn't sure at the time. :) and i have to get some more probiotics I'm almost out. I just came back in from taking him a bottle. He actually wanted it!!! He took a half of a half cup. If that makes since :). He pooped 4 times while we were feeding and it was all berrys but one time he pooped it was mushy but not bad. Such a relief!

Also he peed too. It all looked normal!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's 1:33 here. Look at the moon! Its so pretty and lighting up the valley!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So glad he is doing better. I would really get a fecal done.
Oh, that's wonderful! And the moon is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!
This morning I woke up at about 8:30 to look out side at him and........He was up and walking! And eating grass! I layed back down for a bit because i was awake till 4 last night...When I got up again me and my mom went ahead and took him to the vet. They did a fecal and a full body exam. Turns out I was wrong. He is 11/ half pounds! I knew he was already doing so much better but im happy we took him to the vet. They said they only found two cocci eggs but there could be more. They said he only has a few worms but they sent corid a d some wormer home with us for all 3 babies. He is doing soooooo much better and wants his bottle! Thanks for all the advice!
Everybody at the vet loved little Tomy so much and sent him good wishes!

Also the vet said they think it was change of his diet that made him feel bad. Also Daisy is a lot better too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.