So sad...

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by PACE, Oct 20, 2007.

1. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    My grandfather is dying... I just visited him. He was asleep when I went into his room, and I just sat next to him by myself for a while. Then my mom came in and I just started crying. He has cancer and had brain surgery a few months back and then chemo and radiation. He was doing good until a few weeks ago. Now he can't get out of bed and looks so sad. I hadn't seen him since about two weeks ago when he was sitting in the backyard shucking corn. I helped him and we talked about my goats. I am so sad right now. I can't stop crying and it was a shock to see him asleep in bed like he was. He didn't wake up while he was there but it was like saying goodbye, just being there. I gave him a kiss on the cheek before I left. There are lots of people at the house. Family and friends. He is old and has been independent and active for his whole life. He had a great life and isn't suffering, which we are all greatful for. He has done so much in his life and is now surrounded by people that love him... but it doesn't make it any less hard to say goodbye. I just had to get it off my chest. It's really tough when someone you have loved all your life who has lived next door and taught you so much isn't well anymore. It is just his time.... But still... anyway, just writing that out has made me feel a little more composed. I'm going to go back tomorrow I hope. I want to see him awake to tell him I love him.

2. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Pace,
    I'm so sorry I know how you feel my Grandfather pass away in march. It was such a big shock to see him in the hospital. He had always been very active in family and community activities. Prayers for you and your family. Shelly

3. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    I'm so sorry! Prayers are coming your way.

I don't understand what you're going through since I've never had a grandpa, but I can imagine it's very rough.

4. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Emily,
    I'm sorry you are having to go through this, but it shows what a neat relationship you have with your grandfather. Alot of kids now don't have that. I was never close with my grandfathers. You are very blessed.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    been there - done that - got the T-shirt - sure isn't fun! :(

I have no words to say for you because no words help. I am glad you did write out what you were feeling and it helped you - doing that always helps me too. ((((hugs))))) for you

6. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    emily,
    i am so sorry you are loosing your grandfather. what a wonderful relationship you two have shared. you will cherish that forever.
    please DO tell him you love him, even if he is not awake. people loose their hearing last, and he very well might hear you even if you think he isn't listening. and you will know you told him. he loves you, too, i am sure.

7. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    {{HUGS}} to you sweety. This is a very hard thing to go through. You are very lucky to have memories that will last you a lifetime. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Even if he isn't awake you can tell him you love him and anything else you want, it is amazing what people hear when you think they can't.

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am so sorry to hear that. Prayers are coming your way.

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    It is so sad to lose someone who means that much to you but I think you will find, that if you know him well, he will always be there with you. I hope your sadness is helped with remembering good times with him.

10. cornishwlr

cornishwlr New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    louisiana
    I know what you are going through. Even though it has been almost 23 years when my papa past. I was glad that I got the chance to tell him good bye and to say a prayer for him. He saved our lives when I was 6 months old. He made my mom leave for a hurricane 50 years ago. She was going to stay. The town was wiped out but we survived. We lived next to them for 5 years after that. He helped my dad build the house that we lived in. By the way he was my step grandpa. He married my grandma when my dad was 8. He helped to raise my dad as his own. He loved us as his own. As we loved him and still have lots of good memories of such a great man. So take comfort in the thought that that his memory will always be with you.

11. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I just lost my grandfather about a month ago and I feel your pain. Tell him you love him now, he doesnt need to be awake to hear and feel your love. Big hugs from TN coming your way.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry. My prayers are with you. I will will be praying for your family. Hugs to you all.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We are coming up on the one year aniversary of my grandpa's death(mom's dad) , and the 14th anniversary of my other grandpa's death(dad's dad, I was a baby when he died and never got to know him)
    My grandpa that died last year, he was battling leukemia, it was very painful for him and we were all relieved when he passed but we were all very saddened still. When it is time to let go say your good byes and always remember him and never let the good memories go. He hears you and loves you even though it may not seem like it right now.
    **HUGS**

14. goat fever

goat fever New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Emily,

I am sorry you are going through this. I am lifting your entire family up in prayer. I am glad you have had a close relationship with your grandfather. Mine died when I was very young. I don't remember anything about them.

15. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    Emily prayers & hugs to you sweetie. i lost my husband three years ago also my mom & dad so i know how much you are hurting. talk to him & he will hear you. just remember that he will always be with you in your heart.

16. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    He died this morning at around 1:00 :cry:

My dad and some others who were very close to him were with him and he went peacefully.

Thanks everyone so much for the kind words and thoughts... it really means a lot.

Everyone here is very sad. It's so hard to beieve that someone you have known for your whole life and loved is gone. I will sure remember him for what he was before he got sick and I'm sure I'll be very sad for quite some time. The goats can tell I'm not my usual self. They have been extra snuggly and gentle with me today. I guess there's nothing else to say, but it does help a little to write about it :(

17. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am so sorry. He is in a better place and you will be reunited with him someday. ((((HUGS))))

18. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Emily, so sorry to hear about your grandpa.:( :(

19. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    It's hard- I'm so sorry.

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member