So sad

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'm having such a bad time lately that I've been thinking of selling off most of my herd. I feel like its constantly something going wrong and someone dieing. I don't think I can lose anymore. Right now I'm afraid that Chrysie won't make it through the night. Yesterday we disbudded Contredanse's twins and Daisy's doeling Chrysie and she's been crying and hiding since. Not like a normal kid, a kid obvious with something wrong. We've taken her temp, 102.9, checked her out and she's just pitiful. She'll try to nurse from her dam and tremble and cry. I think she might have had too much heat from the disbudding iron or something. I've never had this happen before. I did all 3 yesterday myself and she was last.

I just can't take all my doelings dieing left and right. I know it could be that its just so much so fast but how can I raise a good herd if they always die? I'm tired of crying over it and I'm tired of the heartache.

I'm so afraid of what's coming next....

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh Ashley. I am so so so sorry. It is absoulutly heartbreaking to lose them. I will be praying for her, and that you don't have any more losses for a long while. Words can not express how sorry I am.

And if you do decide to sell part of your herd (which I really hope doesn't happen) give me an email as I may be interested in some does of yours.

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'm trying to be strong and weather it out but for some reason I'm just really having a hard time. I know everyone goes through this at some point so I'm trying to keep some hope.

I just feel like I'm letting my babies down when I can help them.

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am so sorry! :hug: It will be okay. We are here to help you. I had 4 goats die within months of each other and I told my hubby that I was selling them all and he said no and made me keep them....so far so good. Things will get better.

5. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I have been praying for you and I will continue to do so. :hug:

It seems quite a few people are having a rough year this year. A girl we have gotten goats from has had 18 babies born...only 3 does and one of those does died. Saturday night she lost her favorite doe that was torn from having kids the day before....Mava died in Nicole's lap. 3 weeks ago one of her older does died. She has been having a hard time as well.

I hope Chrysie makes it. We had a doe that after being disbudded screamed and screamed when she layed down, but when she got up she was fine. Lots of :grouphug: :hug:

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Please send Nicole my thoughts and prayers. She's definitely had a worse time than me. I feel the same way about that too. Everyone seems to be having a rough year. At least we have each other to cry to and comfort.

When I mentioned selling out this morning my hubby only said, "I'll stand behind you whatever you decide." So I still had to decide, no push from him one way or the other.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Oh Ashley im so sorry, i know its hard to work through these times. I hate to see you get out of this wonderful hobby because of some dyeing. How is your little doe doing? It very well could be too much heat, are her eyes swollen, like the tops part of her eyelid? We had a buck kid that had this same problem. Too much heat can make their brains swell. We were able to save him with a steroid shot from the vet. The lady was going to have him put down but the vet suggested the steriod shot, it would either kill him or save him it was cheaper then putting him down and it saved him.
    beth

8. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    She's not looking very good. She's still in the same spot, not crying anymore really but looks bad. I don't think she's going to make it. I'm so sorry this happened to her. I wish I could have prevented it.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

im crossing my fingers for her. Im trying to think of anything you can do for her. Maybe a cool compress on her head. it may help the swelling. It doesn;t hurt to try. Make sure her temp stays normal. You can try giving her some childred tylonal. I have done that. Its a very small dose. like a drop in the end of your finger.
    beth

10. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. I hope everything gets better soon. :grouphug:

11. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    I am so sorry you are having a tough time this season!!! My heart goes out to you and your girls!! :pray:

I can kind of relate in the sense that my goaties are not even IN my care, so if something happens to them I won't even be there for them...:tears:

12. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    She's limp and cold this morning. Her breathing is irratic so I don't think she'll be too much longer.

13. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Ashley I was just thinking about you and your little girl this morning and hoping she is turning the corner and feeling more like herself again. I am so sorry she isnt doing better. Are you sure she wasnt polled, all this would make scence then. I know you have had a hard time lately but try not to make a a rash decision about your herd till things calm down and you can think clearly.

14. Thunderhill

Thunderhill New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    North Alabama
    I'm so sad for you.
    :cry:

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I'm sorry to hear thar she is doing worse. :grouphug: to you, your family and Chrysie.

16. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Both parents are horned so no she wasn't polled. She had the swirls on her head for horns and we felt bumps, though I do know that polled can have bumps too. I honestly think it was something else. When Stevie handed her to me for disbudding we both noticed she was a little wet but neither one of us thought anything of it. I think she might have had a urinary problem.

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH, Ashley, I am so sorry about all this. I do not dehorn, so I have no ideas what it is like. But is there a way to put something cold on her horn area and wrap her in warm towels to warm her up? What is her temp? I would give her some NurtaDrench also. Ashley, try to save her for you and fro her. Get that little thing warm, and something for the pain. I use Arnica Montana for anything on my goats that might be in any pain at all.
    Good Luck to the two of you.

I agree, it has been a hard year this year. We have never lost a baby and we lost three. Two we could not of done anything about, but one drown. :grouphug: :grouphug: :pray: :pray:

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Ashely :hug: what a terrible situation. My heart goes out to you :tears:

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im so sorry Ashley, if she has a urinary problem there may be nothing you can do. But if you can try and get her temp up it might help. wrap her in warm towels from the dryer or put her ina sink full of warm water. We had a bay lose his temp twice the other day but he is doing well now.
    I have my fingers crossed for both of you. i know its hard. And it makes us just want to give up.
    beth

20. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    She has passed. I smelled a strong odor when I lifted her tail earlier today so I really believe that was the reason she got ill and what subsiquently killed her. I don't know at this point if there was anything we could have done to save her.