So sad....

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by FarmGirl18, Mar 1, 2008.

1. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    One of my Boer does is going into labor early, she's on day 136. :cry: Is there any chance that the kids might make it? I'm just so sad, she's one of my favorite does, and has lines to die for. I was REALLY hoping to get a doe kid from her. :(

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I'm not sure. :shrug: But I'd be there if I were you, milk out some colostrum, get them inside the house ASAP. Keep them warm and full of milk.

There is a pretty big chance they may not survive, my guess. I know their lungs are usually the last thing to fully develop.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am really sorry, I have no idea. I'll be praying for you and the babies!

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I hope everyone is OK. Please let us know.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh no! I hope all goes well. If I remember micro class well enough I believe they give premies surfactant to help the lungs develop in humans. Not sure if it works the same in goats. I will be :pray: for you, your doe and her kids.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    day 140 is usually the earliest you want them to kid, maybe she will hold out a bit or they will be ok a day early.

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Well, she's taking her time, having contractions but she hasn't gotten down to any serious pushing yet. Looks like it's gonna a long night. :( Thanks for praying everybody, keep them coming!

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if she makes it into tomorrow that would be great. I know it is a long night for you but better over all for the kids servival I would believe

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    She had a stillborn baby at about 6:30 this morning. :cry: Looked like the baby had been dead for several days, it looked horrible, couldn't hardly tell that it was a goat. Mom was not doing well, and seemed really weak, she also had lots of rotten looking stuff coming out and I didn't know if there was another kid. Ended up taking her to the vet, thankfully there was not another kid, I don't think she could have handled getting it out. The vet did a uterine flush to get some of the junk out, gave her antibiotics and some other stuff, said she has a 50/50 chance of making it. :sigh: I hope she pulls through.

10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm so sorry.I'll be :pray: that your doe makes it.If she doesn't don't blame yourself and remember that you did everything you could possibly do.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats really sad, I'm so sorry :cry:

I to will pray she makes it

12. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    I pray mommy makes it. So sad :cry: Please keep us posted on her health

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry to hear about that :hug:

Since it was a mummified kid, is your vet a really good goat vet? Mummified kids can really mess up a does uterus sometimes, a uterine flush was a good thing to do. Get her on a strong anti biotic and also give her really really high doses of Vitamin C, that will help her to expel anything else from the kid and it will also help to prevent/fight the infection that could happen. Garlic would also be a good idea.

14. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the kind words guys. :grouphug:

Sarah, yes I'm so grateful to have such a good goat vet, and only 10 minutes away. He was so kind to even come up to the clinic to check out my goat at 8:30 this morning and he wasn't even the doctor on call. He's owned goats and still does and really knows alot. She's on a really strong antibiotic, I can do the vitamin C too, should I just crush up pills and mix them with water?

15. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I'd either crush the pills up or see if she will eat them. I have a goat who will eat the grossest tasting things.

16. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Hopefully your vet was just being cautious about her chances- the flush was just what was needed.
    Good luck with her recovery- I hope she is all well soon.

17. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I think he just wanted me to know that worst case that's what could happen. He knows how much I love all my goats. :)

She's doing well today, still crying for her baby though. :cry: She ate the vitamin C pills right up with her grain ration.

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Bethany, I do not understand why he does not think she will or Might not make it. LOTS of goats do this. I agree, get her some Vit C. What I have done is take my Vit C pills, crush them into powder and she licked the bowl clean. I crushed a whole hand full, like maybe at least 20. She ate them like crazy.

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Bethany, I was also going to tell you. Make sure she has her Molasses water, and give her Nutra Drench. I would also try to get a shot of Oxeytocen (sp), That will help her expel the after birth. I had to use it on a doe for the first time this year, and it worked great. That and Excenel. Just give her lots of TLC.

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Lori, since mummified kids are half rotten in the uterus(and mummified kids are not that common), there is a really really high chance of serious infection.