So sad

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goathappy, Apr 12, 2008.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    :sigh:

This is something I have been keeping to myself for quite a while, it is such a burden to me, I feel so guilty because of it, mostly because there is nothing that I could do to help or prevent the situation.

Caesar has to be put down. :mecry:

Back in October, while Caesar broke his horn/scur while fighting, we rushed him to the vet and did an emergency dehorning. It was stressful of course. Two weeks later he got really sick with something like polio(it wasn't polio though) We got him through that and then he started limping in his one front leg. After about a month his knees started to swell; in December he started walking on his knees. We made sure he was warm during the cold months and he's always eating hay and always eaten his grain. He has a good appetite and is very alert. We have done everything we could for him, herbal remedies for RA and AIDS, and so many other things but he just isn't getting better. His knee joints, appendages, and hock joints(tarsals) are all calcified. I don't believe he is in pain but he is very uncomfortable. I am thinking CAE.

He is my baby, always has been always will be. I will miss his sweet face and how he always cuddles up next to me when I'm in the pen, I'm glad I have at least one daughter to remember him by.

We will be calling the vet on Monday to schedule it and we will be having a necropsy done. I am having her test him for CAE, mycoplasma, and having her do a mineral analysis on him, can anybody recommend anything else I should have him tested for?

I just don't understand the why part. Why? and How? He was fed the same milk as all the other kids last year, he is the ONLY goat in the herd who is like this. I know the stress from the dehorning had something to do with it. All of his kids are fine, all the does he bred are fine(he bred 5 does) I don't know.

This is probably the hardest thing I've done, and I just feel so awful about it, but I can't stand to see him like this and I know his quality of life isn't the best right now.

Thanks for listening, it means a lot :hug:

2. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    (hugs)Sarah Im so sorry yall are going through this.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wow Sarah, that is really hard. I'm so sorry. ((Hugs))

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    :hug: Sorry you are going through this. I hope you find an answer.

5. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    I'm so sorry, Sarah. This is terrible. :( I think it's good that you are going through with a necropsy, blood work, and a mineral analysis. I know it probably doesn't make you feel any better right now but at least you will be gaining information that may prevent the same thing from happening in the future and that makes Caesar priceless.

Hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Kristen

6. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    How sad........................hope you find out what the problem was. The more time you put in, it seems the more attached we become. I don't know how not to become attached. That is what makes people so special!
    Sue

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sarah, I am so sorry that you needed to make this un selfish decision. Caesar will be in a better place and you won't need to worry about his pain as he will be running and jumping through greener pastures, :hug: to you and the hope that you will find out what went wrong.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks guys it means a lot :hug: I'm thinking CAE though because of the mineralization that has happened in his joints, his knees are fused. I'm still testing him for mycoplasma just to be sure, but goats with mycoplasma usually don't live this long.

I am very thankful that he did give me one daughter, she is a carbon copy of her father. She looks EXACTLY like him and she's even such a little stinker like he was!! I named her Zip, because she's such a fast little thing :)

Can anybody think of anything else I should test him for?

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm so sorry.But in the end you are doing whats best for him and that will make you feel better later on knowing you didn't make him suffer.

10. Buckeye

Buckeye New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Maine
    I'm very sorry to hear about this. It is always tough to lose an animal but take solace that you are making him more comfortable.

This is probably way off, but any chance it could be lyme disease? All I know about that is that it affects the joints and ticks are unusual but not impossible on goats.

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    This must be so hard for you. I hope it is not CAE- I was wondering if he could have gotten an infection that settled in his joints when the scur was injured? Anyway you seem to being doing the best you cna for him and the rest- I'm sorry that you had to go here. It is always so hard to make the right choice when you care for an animal.
    Please let us know how it goes.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh sarah I knew something was up when I was reading you posts! :( Thank you for letting us in to this special hurt in your life. :hug: I wish I could make everything go away or all better for you, but of course i can't and that makes me feel so helpless. :sigh:

The lyme disease is a good point - might be something to consider. Though an infection sounds more valid due to the quick onset and all the circomstances surrounding all this.

BUG hugs to you :hugs:

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Mom thought lyme disease too, I'll look into that. Anything seems to be a possibility, but it all goes back to the dehorning. Not to blame it on the vet, but I wonder if the anestethia did something, because she put Caesar under differently than she did Gus. I don't know.

Thanks guys, it means a lot :hug:

I make the appointment tommorrow. :sigh:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    make sure you take some pictures of yourself with him. Sounds sort of morbid but later on you will wish you had! (take it from someone who wishes she had)

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sarah, I am so sorry to hear this. Yes it is the hardest thing to do, and the hardest thing is not to ask WHY, but it all happens for a reason. I guess it might be so you and all of us learn something. He was put on this earth to teach us all something, :grouphug: :hug: :hug: .

I know what does not take the hurt away. I just pray that you learn what this is.

16. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am so sorry! Caesar was a very pretty boy and sounded very special. You are making a very good descision, even though it is a very hard one.

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

:hug:

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sarah, How are you holding up? I have been praying for you all day. I hope you can go home when it is all over and hold on to his daughter.
    Just thought I would let you know i was thinking about you. :hug:

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I can only imagine how hard this is. You are doing the right thing by not letting him suffer. :hug: :grouphug:

19. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Sarah, I am going through the same thing with Glitz... I haven't had the guts to tell everyone yet. Do you remember when she started limping on that one knee?? After a few days it was doing better but she seemed slow still. Then she suddenly started to crawl on on both knees.... she kidded fine, maybe the weight of the kid got her going a little better but soon as I started to think she was getting over it, it's even worse. I've been talking with my vet, we thought it was a mycoplasma since Romeo had gotten Uvietis, but we've tried 2 different antibiotics now and nothing is helping us she is becoming scared of me becuase I give her a shot everytime I go out there.... I too keep asking why?? How?? My whole herd came from CAE negative goats with the exception of the rescued Alpine who is doing fine, and Emily who I had tested a few years ago. So as soon as her kid starts eating grain and drinking well, Glitz will be put to sleep too... She cant even straightened her legs anymore and her joints are stiff and swollen.... It's just not fair for her to live like she is now... wether it's CAE or something else. :sigh: I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. My heart goes out to you. :hug: It's so so hard.

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh Anna,
    I am so sorry to hear the you are dealing with the same thing.

My heart goes out to you as well. :hug: :hug: . Ok I Do believe you all deserve a group hug. :grouphug: