The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Nanny has some problems. She is getting extremely skinny yet is so bloated. Our only guess is worms. Has been wormed once and doing follow up tonight...eyelids are pale but not white. Acting totally normal otherwise.
A while ago we had thought we might have had an outbreak of CL... Vet tested and said the test didn't come back positive but we would have to run another test. So maybe it is something to do with that.
any ideas?

·
1,524 Posts
Have a fecal run to see what worms you are dealing with and worm with the proper chemical that targets those worms.

What is she getting for food? Is she milking/pregnant or just maintaining?

CL can pop up internally, which can cause weight problems, but it is not as common in goats as sheep. A blood test for CL is not very accurate, since it's usually a vaccinated goat that tests positive while a positive goats will test negative. Testing the pus from an abscess is about the most accurate test.

·
Super Moderator
58,831 Posts
What exactly are you worming with and how much? Have you done a fecal to include coccidia? And yes, adults can get coccidia.

·
2,377 Posts
Oh wow.. so sorry.. Goats can get skinny so fast and go down in health so quickly and then can get all sorts of parasites. I am sure she needs a good de-wormer and because she is so skinny, she will probably have a nutritional issue as well. It will take some work but she can get good weight on her soon if you can rid her of worms.. After you de-worm her.. give her some good probios - then start working on her nutritional needs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We wormed her with ivermectin, the horse paste. I don't know the exact amount but we were told 3 times what was on the package /lb.

We did have a goat with pus and that was what was tested.
We ordered some probios and are waiting for it to get here as we can't get it in where we live.
If you all think it is worms however that makes me more hopeful that this is treatable!
Should I worm with something other than ivermectin?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She isn't milking or pregnant or anything, been feeding hay, alfalfa, and free choice minerals.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should I treat with anything for the anemia? We Have read about B12? You guys have any suggestions ?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have a buck in the exact same condition and he was loaded with worms. Mainly cocci. So I have been giving him Sulmet, red cell, and b12. Today was day 4 and I can tell he is feeling better already.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to hear! Looks just Iike our doe. Trouble is we live in such a rural area that we have a hard time getting most medications:( But I will try to track some sumlet down for sure

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
The B vitamins are so important that I give any questionable goat a shot of Fortifiex B complex. It won't hurt her. I also think a Bo-Se shot is necessary occasionally. Copper helps keep the worm loads manageable, imo. I use copper sulfate in their water...although I am learning to give the copper bolus.

I also use ivermectin, injectable. I give it orally. It is probably easier to dose properly if you use the injectable. Use the same dewormer until it stops working. Then rotate to another. Safeguard no longer works, except for tapeworm. And I want to ask if you have seen any tapeworm segments in her pooh?

So, I believe that you should treat the "whole goat", rather then just treating symptoms. Most of the meds are available online. I use http://www.vetserv-usa.com/ for Rx items. . Good luck, prayers.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Good to hear! Looks just Iike our doe. Trouble is we live in such a rural area that we have a hard time getting most medications:( But I will try to track some sumlet down for sure
I also live rural but was able to get all meds at Bucheits. I believe Orshalins and TSC has them too.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Worms and cocci do that. Fecal is best to know.

Ivomec if given at a rate of 1cc per 33lbs and if you gave it again 10 days later and again another 10 days. You have those worms covered.
DO you see any tape worm segments in her stool? If so, she will need treated with Valbezen(not safe for preggo's)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No tapeworms for sure, will continue with ivermectin and I think order some sumlet to treat for cocci to be on the safe side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts