So the boys are in rutt now...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I knew it was coming. But the girls are going crazy now. Flagging, standing by their pen, basically just taunting the heck out of them.

I found Mac stuck in the fence, and had to get my husband to help me get him out AGAIN. So, I spent a while trying to get the electric fence working, because it was grounding our somewhere.

Little Baby Al is growing up. Doing nasty little things that are unspeakable. He's not very big yet though. I'm hoping he grows more.

I do have a question though. They aren't eating as much, and are losing some weight. Is there anything I can do to keep them beefed up?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Keep their hay supply full and if you need to be sure they stay in condition...you can do as I have been doing, hand feed them their grain. Yes, even though they are stinky, sticky and downright ornery I have the grain bucket on the fence post and feed each of my boys out of my hand. I added wet beet pulp to my pygmy bucks ration due to him being undercondition a few months ago, he likes it and has been steadily gaining with it.

3. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I added some beet pulp (shreds no molasses) to what I have been giving the boys(our spring bucklings that we bought this year). They went through a growth spurt this past week or so and seemed thin. Once in a while I give them black oil sunflower seeds by hand as a treat which they love.

This morning when I was taking care of them I did finally see Jorge extend but he just doesn't seem big enough yet for the junior does.

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Well, Baby Al is peeing in his mouth already, he is only 7 months old. He's extending all over the place. I'm afraid of the little guy, because he's looking at me like I might be a nice date.
    But my massive french buck (Mac) is very gentle, and even though he is stomping and blubbering at the fenceline, he shows no interest in me. He's still pretty easy to handle. He's 3 or 4 years old.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, sounds like you have good boy there. lol.

I alsways make sure they have lots of hay to eat and just watch them close. I always have a problem keeping weight on the boys. You know, if they go eat they "might" miss a girl. lol

Beet Pulp is a great idea to help.