The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Girls came home from the breeders after being gone for 4 days. Need all your experience. Bred?

The first one is Jane, she went into heat on Thanksgiving (looks like she has a short 17 day cycle). When we got home from dinner she had a lot of white discharge and was a little swollen. We took both of them to the breeders (or as I'm starting to call it "goat camp") since I knew Billy would be close to follow. Ended up raining really hard that day and they said nothing was happening with Billy and her date so we decided to keep them there over the weekend (didn't want to drive with them in the cold rain and Billy was suppose to go in heat that Sun).

Eye Felidae Carnivore Dog breed Small to medium-sized cats

Primate Jaw Beard Whiskers Liver

They said the first day Jane was mounted a couple of times, then the next day the buck stopped showing interest. So they aren't sure if she would take.

The next is Billy, they said the buck had no interest the first few days, but that yesterday she was for sure bred, even had some blood discharge. (She was also bred when we first got her, 3 weeks prior, so I guess that one didn't take?)

Dog Carnivore Liver Companion dog Whiskers

Eye Dog breed Carnivore Dog Liver

Felidae Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats Carnivore Fawn

I really hope they're both bred. This has so far been my least fave part lol...."is she in heat? No? OK, oh wait you are? Call breeder, oh that one isn't get back to me, lets try the other one? Does this time and this day work? Did they breed? Yes no? Blah blah blah lol" I wish we could have our own buck but unfortunately its not possible :/

Will post pics of their boyfriends in a few. They where both bred to two different nigerian dwarf bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the boys;

Jane's boyfriend Moo
Vertebrate Dog breed Mammal Goat Companion dog

Billy's boyfriend (can't remember his name, he has cool moon spots that all his kids get)
Goat Snout Terrestrial animal Working animal Tail

Hope they bred successfully. Would make cute babies if do. Only have one more shot this year. Anything later they have the risk of birthing in the summer and it gets REALLY hot where we are.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I had a doe deliver in August last year (when it was REALLY hot) and she was fine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They need to be over 2 months and easier at 3 months to tell with a pooch test.
can you explain what the pooch test is? My doe was mounted about 2 1/2 ago by our buck but we're not sure if the pregnancy took.

Liver Goat Grass Whiskers Working animal

^ that was after she was mounted

Dog breed Carnivore Felidae Fawn Terrestrial animal

^ I'll try to get better ones tomorrow. Sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A pooch test is basically when you take a picture of their lady parts and someone judges whether or not they're bred. I didn't notice a change in my girl's pooches till they were about a month a long.

The semen is a good sign he bred her but it's way to early to tell if the breeding took with that doe at 2 1/2hrs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A pooch test is basically when you take a picture of their lady parts and someone judges whether or not they're bred. I didn't notice a change in my girl's pooches till they were about a month a long. The semen is a good sign he bred her but it's way to early to tell if the breeding took with that doe at 2 1/2hrs.
LOL I meant to put 2 1/2 months ago** I took that picture of her lady part when I noticed that he mounted her. She has gotten so big from that date but yet again she eats so much along with pasture. And also she always looks fluffy because of the cold weather. I'll get pics of her side and stomach later in the morning :) thanks for explaining.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
I had a doe deliver in August last year (when it was REALLY hot) and she was fine.
I had 19 does deliver a year ago last August and, while the does were fine, the kids were not. I had to take them skinny dipping in the waterer several times a day for the first 2 or 3 days to keep them from stroking out in the heat. I will never bred my does to kid in August again!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had 19 does deliver a year ago last August and, while the does were fine, the kids were not. I had to take them skinny dipping in the waterer several times a day for the first 2 or 3 days to keep them from stroking out in the heat. I will never bred my does to kid in August again!
Yep, that is exactly my fear too. Don't want to put that stress on my girls, me, and to the poor babies. If its something I can help prevent I will.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
LOL I meant to put 2 1/2 months ago** I took that picture of her lady part when I noticed that he mounted her. She has gotten so big from that date but yet again she eats so much along with pasture. And also she always looks fluffy because of the cold weather. I'll get pics of her side and stomach later in the morning :) thanks for explaining.
Oh haha 2 1/2 months along someone will be able to tell. I can even tell with my own girls who are that far along.

That's scary about kidding in August, but I can believe it. Hot weather is no fun. I just bred for Feb and March because due to the cold, most of the worms and other parasites will be dormant.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
I live in the tropics, and it's hot ALL THE TIME. with humidex, winters here get a high of about 95, and summers are WELL over 110. my doe kidded in April earlier this year, and the highs then probably top close to 100 with humidex. her buckling did fine. they had plenty of shade and it was still breezy then.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So sent the girls blood to biotracking and the results are in....Billy is pregnant (yay!!) and Jane is still open :(
Breeder wants us to take her back, but there are pros & cons to that:
Cons;
Haven't scene her go in heat again
Have boarding fees X 2 because I would have to take both again so they won't be alone and longer to possibly catch cycle
Risk of transporting and putting stress on Billy
Pros;
Slight chance of her getting pregnant again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts