The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...To "dust" a goat.

Looks like we have external parasites. So we cleaned out the stall really well and I dusted it with Python dust.

However, how do I dust the goats? Does it go all over them? Or just down the back? Do I work it in to the skin? Is it a problem for milking later in the day?

·
Registered
95 Posts
...To "dust" a goat.

Looks like we have external parasites. So we cleaned out the stall really well and I dusted it with Python dust.

However, how do I dust the goats? Does it go all over them? Or just down the back? Do I work it in to the skin? Is it a problem for milking later in the day?
I generously deposit it on their back and then rub it into their back and sides..........while holding my breath.

·
8,095 Posts
Just wash the teats well and dry. If you get any dust in the milk (from brushing against the dusted hair) I would discard the milk.

Can you do a "with the hair" body clip? That will eliminate the long hair, letting the dust get closer to the skin. And less will fall in your milk.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wash the teats well and dry. If you get any dust in the milk (from brushing against the dusted hair) I would discard the milk.

Can you do a "with the hair" body clip? That will eliminate the long hair, letting the dust get closer to the skin. And less will fall in your milk.
Thanks SO MUCH! Just one more question. We have 9 kids here in the 4 week-old range. They are starting to show signs of infestation as well. Is the dust safe to use on them, or is there a better method to use with littles?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks SO MUCH! Just one more question. We have 9 kids here in the 4 week-old range. They are starting to show signs of infestation as well. Is the dust safe to use on them, or is there a better method to use with littles?
I have used the Python powder before on 6 week Olds. No negative results.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use the dust on everyone with out a problem.

You could also shake some on to a course brush and then kinda pat and brush it in. Thats what I do. Sorry, I dont really know how else to describe it.:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts