So what wormerss do you all recommend???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goinggoaty, Jul 13, 2010.

1. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    I have 3 goats my nubian doe, ND wether and the newest a emaciated possibly bred maybe lactating Lamancha doe (Just rescued well bought but more rescued) the guy said she was bred IDK and that he was milking her :shrug: , weird looking udder teat thing going on but I know she needs to be wormed and just wanted to know what you all use. The feed store has an oral one for goats which I can't remember the name now, a pelleted one by manna pro and then horse wormers didn't know what you'd recommend so went and saw what they had and thought I'd see what you guys use successfully. Thanks for your time.

Also with a goat with a poor coat whose thin REALLY thin what else besides wormer would you recommend?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you can get a fecal run on her it would save you the time and $ of buying numerous wormers to treat for worms she may not have, but if you can't do that I would suggest getting a combo wormer...Equimax paste for horses has 2 wormers that are safe for preggy does, ivermectin and praziquantel, the latter is good for tapeworms and the ivermectin is for the others such as barberpole. Get a weight on her and triple it, dose her according to her tripled weight and a repeat in 10 days. As far as building her weight up, do it gradually, a good goat feed, minerals and high quality hay will do wonders for a goat that needs it. I would also suggest not milking her, she'll need all the feed she takes in for herself and I really hope she isn't preggy cause it certainly sounds as though she's not healthy enough to be a mom.

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Ivomec PLUS (1cc per 25 lbs of body weight repeat in 10 days and then again 10 days later) can be used for does, kids, pregos, bucks and wethers I also use Valbazen but never to pregnant does.

For thin goats I'd be feeding quality hat free choice I'd also get them on a good goat ration, alfalfa pellets and a loose mineral for goats. :)

4. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    Thanks I don't plan on milking her not even a drop but the guys said he was so I just didn't know if that mattered as far as a wormer goes. I hope she isn't bred either but she has a really deep belly and I'm not sure if that's due to something else or kiddos. The ad on craigslist showed the healthier goats he had and said were bred so I thought I'd just look got there (jaw dropped) said okay I'll take that one. But then again that's me pick out the sickest neediest of the bunch. Thanks again I'm going to try to do the fecal and then get her wormed

5. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Ok I am confused wasn't I just told I couldn't give ivermec plus or noromectrin to preggo does????

Tara

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You are right Tara...Ivomec Plus should not be given to pregnant does.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ..ivermec plus....is not recommended to use.. on preggo does.... :(

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    This is untrue... pharmaceutical testing has now been done on Ivomec Plus as well... it is safe on pregnant does, nursing does and young kids. :) I use it and have never had any issues when using it. :)

9. speedy94c

speedy94c New Member

May 31, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    THAT IS TRUE??????? THIS IS THE 1ST IVE HEARD OF IT. THAT WOULD BE GOOD IF IT WILL WORK AND NOT HURT THE PREGGOS.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Where did you see... where it shows those tests?...... there has to be a reason why.... they said... it was unsafe for preggo's ...... and now they declare it is safe... :scratch: :wink:

11. ezzrider

ezzrider New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    We use the Safeguard paste wormer. It was recommended by our vet and can be purchased at any Tractor Supply store very cheaply. We use it monthly as a preventative as was recommended by our vet. We live in Florida.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Certain areas have had parasites become resistant to the febendazole wormers (Safeguard and Panacur)
    Using them for "maintenence" is usually not good with goats, this is how parasites become immune, PA is one state that no longer can use febendazoles with success, Ivermectins and Praziquantel are the wormers of choice here.