so why

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Dec 14, 2008.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Do tell why ya'll have goats.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I (we) have goats because we/I am nuts.

Honestly, we had a few when the children were small for meat & milk.
    A few years after they flew the coop I started investigating meat goats and got 3 of them about 4 years ago, but I was still in love with Nubians so I got one of those too....thinking if I ever needed to supplement I would have plenty milk.
    Goats always backfire on me & make fools out of humans. The Nubian quaded out on me so I had to buy milk for one of her babies. She was a great mom its just that the smallest one was always getting pushed off the faucets.

Why do YOU have goats Countryboy you aint gettin away with none of your own explanation you know :angel2:

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    To tell on myself, it's a back to the simply things of life. Honestly, to have a back up plan for tough and rough times.

4. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    We started out with goats about four years ago when I won two Nubians at a 4-h show; we had the female bred and started drinking the milk, since then we have made cheese, yogurt, and other foods, and are getting into making goat milk soap. We grow many gardens and fruit trees, and raise most of our own meat, we thought adding our own milk to the addition would be useful. We also have been trying to get back to simple living; hopefully a homestead is in the future.

As of now we are up to ten goats, and are looking forward to many more.

5. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Mine started out as a joke when I left work to become a SAHM/WAHM. I told them I was going to raise goats and make cheese. Well, within 6 months of living here we ended up with 3 more children and we already had our 3, so 6 two legged kids drink a lot of milk. I rescued my first goat Little Star out of the back of a trailor with no food, water or protection from the Texas sun. Then we decided to actually get some dairy goats for milk as all of those kids were costing lots of money. So we bought 4 French Alpines and 3 were bred, the first kidding season we ended up with 7 or 8 kids on the ground, and it just went from there. This year I topped out at 35 goats, that was 20 French Alpines and 15 pygmies. We are now down to 9 pygmies with 4 for sale and 13 French Alpines with 4 wethers going to the freezer hopefully here quickly. Then we start all over in February. As the 3 kids got to be returned home, we have just our 3 and one on the way so I now make soaps with the extra milk that we don't drink, cook with, make yogurt, kefir with, etc.

Goats are addicting, I am now wanting to add a Nubian or two to our herd, just to try the difference in the taste of milk.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I grew up on goats milk and always had a few large dairy does around...I decided to get the mini's because of the fact that they are easier to handle than the big breeds...and the fact that with just DH and myself, the mini's produce a manageable amount of milk, which we use daily as well as cheese making, soap, butter, ice cream, fudge, anything you would use milk for. My goats are the reason why I still have my sanity, they are available for long talks and a peaceful , relaxing way to clear my mind of my days troubles. The kids are a plus and sell as pets...though I am very picky as to where my kids go to ensure they have a long healthy life and are loved as well as cared for.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I started off a year ago wanting a couple to clear our land that we had just moved on to. I had an idea of maybe making cheese (I love goat cheese) but that was about it. Well I got "the bug" and now cook with it, make different things with it, still haven't gotten up the nerve to drink it - but I love my pudding, ice cream, fudge, potatoes, everything with it.

I also sell the milk to off set cost of feed, when someone purchases a bottle baby, they are brought up on my goats milk, and we got some meat goats - as hubby is diabetic and so we are using natural things to help lower it with his oral meds so he doesn't have to go on insulin.

Also - we trade milk for farm fresh eggs!

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have goats because...I love them! And also because I want my own cruelty-free dairy products...and I just added a cart-trained working goat to my little herd.

9. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    What she said (in spades!!).

10. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i had 3 togg crosses as a kid that my mom bought on a whim
    bucky, janey, freddy
    lol
    then, many years later, i met my hubby (then bf) and he took me to my first livestock auction
    well, this momma and her baby came out and they ended up being sold separately
    momma went to a nice old lady and the only one that was bidding on the baby ($5) was a meat man
    so i looked at my hubby with big, sad eyes and the little boy went straight from the ring into my arms and the addiction took off from there
    for 4 years i had 30+ grades
    now i raise reg'd mini nubians and i only have 13 (tho i promised DH 3 - 2 does to milk and a buck to breed them) lol
    i have an alpine/boer cross that is my pack goat and 2 bucks and 10 does including the week old doeling that i am bottle raising in my house

11. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    In 2002 my daughter wanted a couple "mini goats" for her birthday. I couldn't understand why she would ever want goats... I mean really out of anything I thought why on earth would she want such a thing? But she got her wish and we went and picked up 2 kids for her and she was delighted with them. I gave her the big speech about them being her responsibility and how she would need to be the one in charge of their care. After about a month I found I was doing most of the care, and found myself falling in love with them. So as the addiction goes, I wanted to get more and more and more. :roll:
    They have changed our lives drastically, enough that I left my career, packed up and moved from the North to the South to buy enough land to farm our goats! And here I am 6 years later from 2 to 30+ goats. We use them for milk but mostly they are my pets and companions... I couldn't imagine my life without them. :love:

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    it started as a FFA project. now i do it to keep my brain occupied.. genetics are fun

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I have goats partly because... we like the milk...

and partly because I like goats :greengrin:

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well we raise goats because like everybody else on here, we're crazy and we love them :)

But seriously, we raise meat goats for meat, and we raise dairy goats for the milk and cheese, which we sell. We are currently in the planning stages for having a goat dairy. We also breed our dairy goats for quality and show :)

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    My daughter wanted to get into a 4H project but she could nover butcher a animals so we got Cashmere goats.

16. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    At first I needed some "help" reclaiming our pastures, sorely neglected before we bought our old house. So, we got the Cashmeres and Pygoras. Then we fell in love with the Nigerians, so, we downsized the Pygoras (although I loved them, they got good homes). The Cashmeres are still working and next spring they'll be going out to the "back forty (actually 3)", but the Nigerians are all up front near the house. Eating my expensive alfalfa! :love:

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Lori - what do you do with your cull goats?

I have lots of people come to me wanting to breed but not wanting to slaughter, so they have three options, fibre goats, milk goats or show Boers. But I remind them that in all the cases you are going to have old cull goats, goats unfit for reproducing (teeth or teats, poor conformation etc), surplus wethers ... and they will at some point need to slaughter something, and to be prepared for that.

18. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    My parents first got into LaManchas in the early 90s, and we all enjoyed having the goats here. Then when my mom went to work they decided to sell the herd. A few years later they just couldn't stand not having a few goats on the place and bought a few recorded grades. And from then they have gone on to have a registered herd of American Saanens. I got the goat itch 4 or 5 years ago and got into the mini goats-sold out of them this last season as the market isn't good for them around here and there are few local shows for them. Then I decided I wanted to get into a different breed other than what my folks have, so I went with the LaManchas. And I am glad that I did.

19. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    oops forgot to add that we show our goats, use their milk for drinking, soap making, and cheese making. We also feed pigs and calves, and baby goats with the milk to.

20. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Well... we had goats when I was a kid (pygmys), and we loved them! So in January 2007 I was looking for some type of livestock (have owned ALL varieties of animals all of my life) that I could raise and sell myself. I was actually doing it because I had ALOT of time on my hands and wanted to keep my mind off of some more troubling problems I was having at the time. So I started with 4 and kept going from there! :greengrin: I started with brush goats, then swapped to Boers, then changed to Pygmys and Nigerians (which were my favorite!) until October 2008 when I had to sell out to do some mandatory fencing and building. I plan on rebuilding my herd this coming Spring thought with ALL Nigerians this time :wink: with a max head count of about 20 :thumb: