So....

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by NubianLover, Oct 20, 2010.

1. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    The vet was here today to give the horses their shots. While he was here I had him trim my trouble buck's hooves. Now, he stood for us good (amazing how major a difference 2 people make!) However, my buck put up a slight struggle at one point and he got cut a little too short. It was short enough it drew some blood, but not a whole lot. The vet said not to worry and that he will be fine. I noticed Buster didn't really want to put a whole lot of weight on that hoof this evening and wasn't really using it. Is there anything I should do or give him? Is it just sore?
    Thanks.

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I'd make sure he has some Iodine on it and he should be fine in a day or 2. :)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'd imagine it's sore to him...just watch him over the next day or 2 and make sure he doesn't get infection.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Agreed. I wouldn't worry to much about it...he should be back to normal in a day or two. It happens...just keep an eye on him to make sure he's healing up.

5. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    This morning it seems better. He was jumping all over ready for his grain (no favoring that hoof) then I went to give him his alfalfa and he started favoring it again. Thinking some of it is him wanting a little attention. Looks fine this morning, no infection.
    Thank you all :hug:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It is amazing how many times I cut them to short, (Normally because they pull or jump). I feel so bad when I do it but they are always fine. We never do anything to it, they just seem to be fine.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I hate when I trim to short.......... watching them limp around for a few days kinda hurts my heart ...as well as.... it pains them....... I put iodine on it and watch.... :wink: