The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hopelessly Addicted
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm using a recipe from a little book titled "Goats" that is in the style of a magazine. It's produced by the publishers of Hobby Farms magazine.

The recipe calls for 2 oz. of glycerin. I work at a craft store, so I get a big discount. I went ahead and bought a 2 pound block of glycerin. I get it home, and it says it is "clear glycerin soap". It is made by Life of the Party, and has other ingredients in it like proplyne glycol. You are supposed to be able to melt it in the microwave and then shape it, scent it, dye it, etc...and then it re-hardens to pre-made soap. IE, you don't need any other ingredients. Its not traditional soap in the sense that it required lye, etc. to make it.....at least I don't think so. If I melt some and use it in place of straight glycerin will it ruin my soap? It doesn't look or feel like any sort of soap I've ever used.

According to what I've read online, it fits the description of pure glycerin in look and feel. As far as I know it is simply added to soap to soften skin and isn't really a part of the chemical process so adding it is just like putting an additive in that has an extra effect right? (Benefit to you skin.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
It looks like you bought a melt-and-pour soap base - essentially pre-made soap that you can remelt and add things too. I think that it would behave quite differently from pure glycerin. I wouldn't try using in place of glycerin in your recipe.

You might try substituting the glycerin with honey, which is also a humectant that helps attract and retain moisture on the skin. Honey is usually added after you have mixed the oils and lye solution, when you have achieved a light trace. If you do decide to make any changes to the recipe, make sure to run it through a lye calculator.

(I am VERY new to soap making, but I've been doing lots of reading. I just wanted to make it clear that I'm no expert!)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just wanted to add that I don't know how big your recipe is, but the information that I've read suggests adding 1 tablespoon honey per pound of oils, added at a very light trace.

I hope that this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
You have a melt and pour base.... I personally would not use it as a substitute due to the fact that it is already processed into soap.

Glycerin is a "by product" of commercial soap making operations, they still need to use sodium hydroxide to make their soap but the remove the naturally occurring glycerin as a by product to be used in other products. Glycerin can be found at any drug store and is fairly cheap.

I'm wondering about the soap recipe too.... when making cold process soap, glycerin is formed during the saponification of the oils and it is all retained in the soap, I wonder if you really need to add extra glycerin?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds like you have a melt and pour, which isn't a bad thing, just different from cold process. The glycerin I use is actually a liquid. Sometimes I add some to my soaps, others I don't, depends on the recipe I am using. It is used to help soften skin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts