Soap making help pls.

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Thanatos, May 22, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok I have begun the soap making thing..... How do people get those trippy swirl colors or just plain old how and what do you use to color the soap.

We do the basic lye, oil, milk and scent/additives soap, but I cant figure out what to use as a colorant with out coloring the person using the soap.

I sold my first batch of basic stuff in less than an hour so I really want to keep doing this, but I want to find that special idea(color, patern, smell) that will set me apart.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry Jason...I never have added color to my soap, I do know though that it is the LAST thing you add to it, then you can do the swirly things with it, try adding a few drops of color to it after it is in the mold, use a toothpick to swirl it throughout and to the bottom, then cover and let it set.

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Think the basic food color would work?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    IDK....It may be too water based to work...Theres a few craft stores here that sell "soap color" and to me it really looks like food coloring, try it and see, if it works, great if it doesnt then you have a batch for home use....I would just try it on a small mold first though, so you don't ruin the whole batch if it doesn't work.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Alright then after the batch of oatmeal/lavender firms up and we unmold then I shall try to color the soap.

I only want to because most of the people who bought my first batch asked what color my next batch was gonna be. Also had a couple who wanted to coordinate the color to their bathrooms :greengrin: . I figured if it helps sell it then what the heck.

6. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Nope food color doesn't work to well, I tried it before I knew better :oops:

You can get soap dyes at places like Hobby Lobby or online stores.

Brambleberry has some nice dyes too http://www.brambleberry.com/micas.aspx , but if you do a search for soap dyes you will get lots of choices.

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
  8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've never made soap before, but I'm wondering ot make swirly colors in the bars, before you pour it into the molds can you just separate a bit of the mix and color that, then put the rest in the molds and put the colored stuff on top and swirl it in?

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I think so. That seems the way to go, and I found LOTS of soap colors online(glad i didn't use food color) so I will grab some in a bit.