soap making

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by silvergramma, Nov 16, 2009.

1. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    anyone out there make goats milk soap ..?? can you recommend books or sites.. i only get one hour a day on public library puter and most of that is used for junking out my emails..
    If ya cant sell the milk,, why not make the soap.. i am a stay at home housewife with too much time on my hands in the winter..halllllllllllllllllp!!!!!!!! lol

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I make soap! Just made some today in fact. :D

On the library catalog, look up books on soap making. For our library, a whole bunch of books come up. Doesn't take long and you get a lot of results. There are a lot of good books and it's hard to give an exact book. I actually learned soap making mainly by "trial and error". Find a good lye calculator online, that is essential for making up your own soaps.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I make soap as well, pretty much just for personal use and gifts. I stick with a very simple recipe that hasn't failed me yet. I'm pretty sure the recipe I use is listed here on the forum.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I make soap, but I have not tried making soap with goat's milk yet. I use the "hand milling" method for all of my soaps where you make a basic soap and then rebatch the basic soap to put in additives. I like using this method because I can make very small quanities of soap with certain additives--that makes it easier to experiment with different additives without the risk of ruining a whole batch. I also like this method because I can also make tons of basic soap at one time, let it cure, and then make a batch of soap quickly whenever I want to with with whatever additives I want and have it be "ready" in a matter of days.

There's a book called "The Complete Soapmaker" by Norma Coney that does a really good job explaining the entire process. It is super easy to follow and has a lot of recipes and photos.

5. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Great book for soapmaking: Milk Soapmaking by Anne L Watson

Her techniques are much easier to do than others I have read about. The soap came out great.