Soap Molds???

Discussion in 'Crafty Cabin' started by Coyote Night Acres, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    I had a question about soap molds. I recently bought this little pan for baking cakes I thought it was the perfect size for pouring soap in that would set up and be cut into bars. I know that Lye reacts with alluminum and you want to stear clear of that, but what about steal? The pan says it's steal so would it be safe to line with freezer paper and then pour soap into?

2. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I have read that stainless steel is A-OK... Like you said, aluminum is the only thing I've heard warnings against...

3. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    It didn't say SS just heavy steal is what it said, but it's not really heavy. Weird.

4. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I think steel is fine. Careful not to get the freezer ppr into the soap as it sets bc it would be difficult to pull out.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Use Saran Wrap to line them. I use wax paper in the wooden mold my hubby made me but Saran Wrap works good too...just be sure to overlap edges.

6. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD
    Shoe boxes work great. Line with that freezer paper you bought. Getting soap out of molds can be a challenge.

7. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

I found if you put the molds in the freezer for two hours after you have allowed the soap to set up for 24 hours it will come out easier. The more pattern or design in the molds the longer you want to let them stay in the freezer.

8. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD
    I've never thought of freezing soap. What a neat idea!

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...when I use the plastic soap molds, I put them in the freezer for an hour or 2, the soap shrinks away from the sides as it freezes and the bars just fall out.

10. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Canada
    I realize this is an older post, but thank you so much for sharing that! I have wrecked 3 plastic molds trying to get the soap out, I'm going to give this a try.